Finish It Up Friday ~ The Shirting Quilts

Now that these quilts have been gifted, I can share the finishes. These were all made from my dad’s shirts. The first is for my brother.

I quilted a quote from the book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull into it. It was one of my dad’s favorite books. It says: Don’t believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding. Find out what you already know and you will see the way to fly.

This is for my older sister.

I quilted my dad’s favorite poem into it. It is High Flight by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

“Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds –

and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of –

wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.

Hovering there I’ve chased the shouting wind along

and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

“Up, up the long delirious burning blue

I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle, flew;

and, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod

the high untrespassed sanctity of space,

put out my hand and touched the face of God.”

This is for my younger sister. I have quilted the chorus from a favorite hymn into it.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus

Look full in His wonderful face

And the things of earth

Will grow strangely dim

In the light of His glory and grace

Have a great day.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts , Busy Hands Quilts , Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Kathy’s Kwilts

This entry was posted in Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ The Shirting Quilts

1. Therese says:

What absolute treasures these pieces are…….

2. Sarah says:

What wonderful quilts!

3. Sue says:

You are a wonderful sister. Your gifts are filled with love and will mean so very much to your siblings. They are such a tribute to your Dad and he must have been very proud of his daughter.

4. Dotti says:

His favorite book and poems says so much about your Dad. Must have been a great and King man. Such special gifts. Well done.

5. Dotti says:

Oops, was to be kind man. But maybe king works.

6. Karen McMahon says:

They are all wonderful. I am sure Your siblings will appreciate them. How many shirts did you use? I have about 6 or 7 of my dad’s flannel shirts and 4 brothers. I don’t think that is enough fabric for 5 quilts.

7. Donna Gross says:

BEAUTIFUL! Tears are welling up in my eyes while reading those quilted messages. So much love and thoughtfulness stitched into each one; all from humble pieces of his everyday life.

8. Kathy D. says:

Such lovely, personal mementos you have made! I’m sure they will be greatly treasured. Wonderful work, Katy. ❤

9. Oh Katy, such neat gifts for your siblings, and such wonderful memories. I’m all teary-eyed reading this. I’m sure he would be delighted that you have made these!

10. Kate Henchey says:

Really, really nice. So thoughtful!

11. Pat K says:

I LOVE these quilts!! And the amount of love you poured into each one of them making it special for the recipient. Fantastic!!! They will be treasured.

12. Linda Mincher says:

All I can say is WOW! I know from my own experience what a difficult (but rewarding) time it is to make these memory quits. You did a lovely job.

13. Terri Bertalan says:

Priceless memories for each of your siblings that will be cherished forever. You are going to need a lot more Kleenex.

14. Pat in WNY says:

Each one is a beautiful tribute to your father, and a treasure for your siblings. A labor of love.

15. Oh Katy!! Those are so wonderful – and what a treasure to have. Hopefully you made one for yourself?

16. Sue says:

What a wonderful memory you are giving your siblings. I had the Kleenex out on the first one, I’m sure they will treasure these and find much comfort while wrapped in them.

17. Luann says:

God knows who to give the scraps to! Love you,

They are all wonderful gifts you have made! Hugs,

19. Rebecca Grace says:

Oh, WOW! These are amazing remembrances of your dad. I especially love how you quilted his favorite poems and hymns into them. This makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy. 🙂

20. Rochelle Summers says:

Your father was a special man and you have made such beautiful memories of him for your siblings. Nothing can ever replace him but his love still lives through all of you.

21. Diane says:

You are an amazingly thoughtful person. Your family will treasure these quilts with loving memories of their Dad.

22. They’re fabulous! What a sweet touch to have personalized them with words so loved by your father.

23. Charlotta Bright Norby says:

What an amazing set of quilts! Each unique, yet clearly they’re part of a set. It would’ve been lovely if you were able to give them away when you were all together so they could all see each others’ quilts? And I hav the same question as another poster, hopefully you made a fourth for yourself? The poems etc you quilted into the quilts are icing on the cake, so lovely!

24. Eileen says:

What a great way to remember your dad ! Lovely quilts !!

25. Janet Brummett says:

What treasures! What is the name of the first quilt? Pattern.

26. Carroll says:

How beautiful. I got goosebumps reading your post and looking at the quilts. They are treasures.

27. Paula says:

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! Including the verses in the quilting was a great idea. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt gifts with us.

28. This is one of the most precious versions of a quilt I have ever seen. True heirlooms, Katy!

29. Kyle says:

These are beautiful and will be cherished

30. quiltipatti says:

such an act of love you have given your siblings. good for you. i hope you made yourself one. blessings to you. patti in florida

31. Susan says:

These are wonderful! Truly a great way to honor your dad!

32. Cathy Tomm says:

Wow love the quilts you made with your dad’s shirts! So much love and memories.

33. Mary Cole says:

I like your quilt…..

34. Judi Kincaid says:

Loved your quilts. I am making pillows for my grandchildren from my husband’s shirts. He passed recently. I was trying to figure out what to do for my children. I am going to try to do the quilts like you have created. Thank you for posting them.

35. These are wonderful. I love that you quilted meaningful phrases in each of them. Great memories.

36. A wonderful way for you to honor and remember your father – by making those quilts for your siblings and inscribing the poetry and hymns.

37. Jenny Benton says:

So lovely and meaningful. Will you be making one for yourself?

38. What wonderfully precious gifts. The quotes are so special. Are you going to make yourself one?

39. dezertsuz says:

Wonderfully personalized. I like all those things myself. What a great way to quilt them.