Humble Quilts String Along

I have been wanting to make a string quilt so when I saw that Lori at Humble Quilts was going to host a string along, I decided to jump in! My inspiration is this antique quilt I found Pinterest.

I have some scraps left from my dad’s shirts after making quilts for my mom and siblings last year. You can see them here. I’m not sure I have enough, but they will stretch farther with the alternate plain blocks.

My dad’s shirts were mostly poly cotton blends and rather thin. So I decided to try foundation piecing the diamonds on muslin. I’m using this die from Accuquilt to cut the muslin foundations.

I tried our a couple blocks. I used the flip and sew technique, covering the foundation.

This is what the back looked like.

Then I trimmed even with the foundation.

So far, so good!

This post contains affiliate links.

11 Responses to Humble Quilts String Along

1. Great shape and great shirtings for your string quilt. I’m looking forward to starting one as well. String quilting is so freeing.

2. dezertsuz says:

That looks great! If I had an accuquilt, I’d be tempted by that inspiration, too.

3. Jannette B. says:

That’s a great idea for a way to use your dad’s shirts – one I’ll be able to put to use now too.

4. p.s. Don’t forget to also share your strings projects over on Brenda’s String Thing Along blog (super resource for string quilters – LOTS of eye candy, too). http://stringthingalong.blogspot.com

5. I have two fabric pulls that will be perfect for this strings QAL — have decided on designs, just need time to get in the studio and get strings cut! Love the look of yours.

6. Chrisknits says:

What a great idea. Maybe I should have my mom start sending me Dad’s shirts instead of donating them?

7. anudge says:

A great way to do string quilts – out of the ordinary.

8. LoriD @ Humble Quilts says:

I love it already!!

9. Val W. says:

What a wonderful use for those smaller bits of shirting. Another quilt filled with memories.

10. allisonreidnem says:

This is a lovely way to do string blocks. And lovely to be making the most of the scraps from your Dad’s shirts.