Leaders/Enders Four Patchese

It feels like I’ve made a million of these little four patches as leader/enders, but my little bin of cut squares is still plenty full.

I didn’t have a plan for these until I saw this post at Crazy Mom Quilts. Go ahead and look, I’ll wait! It might be crazy to think about making a bed quilt out of two inch four patches, but I really love the idea! If I make an 80 by 80 quilt (I would add some borders to make it a bit bigger), and alternate the four patches with plain blocks , I only need…….800 four patches!

I decided to see how many I have so far. I’m nearing the 200 mark. I might get another 200 out of the scraps I have cut. I will definitely need to cut more! But somehow, this actually feels possible.

Then again, I might just be crazy….

18 Responses to Leaders/Enders Four Patchese

1. Therese says:

Like it very much!

2. Suzy R. says:

What an amazing quilt! Good luck and enjoy this quilting adventure.

3. Nann says:

I saw the CMQuilts post, too. I haven’t made a postage stamp quilt in a while. I have a box full of those little squares. I think they’re calling out to me . . .

4. JennyM says:

I felt the same way when I saw that post. It will be my next leader and ender. I can’t wait!

5. Paula says:

I saw the original quilt and Amanda Jeans, on her post Tuesday and fell in love. It’s a great idea and would be fun to make with lots of different fabrics. I doubt that I would make a bed-size quilt, but I would love to make a large throw. Good luck with your task!

6. I read CMQ yesterday, and was a bit boggled by the idea, although I love the look of the quilt. 800 four patch has me a bit boggled, again, but you’ll have it done in no time! I thoroughly enjoy seeing what you are up to!

7. karenfae says:

you are not crazy! I have made several using up my tiny scraps like this

8. Kyle says:

I saw her post yesterday and for a moment thought…..Love all those little squares together. It’s perfect for a L and E project.

9. Sherrill says:

I saw that when she posted and thought that is something I’d NEVER do. At this point in my life, I need to use up the stash way faster than a quilt like that would allow. But I sit amazed at how pretty they are and that someone will tackle them! LOL You’re almost there!! HA

10. Sharon says:

I loved that quilt as soon as I saw it. There is another one on Pinterest with 9-patches that I’ve been admiring for awhile now too. It wouldn’t be crazy to do it unless you just concentrated on the 4-patches. But as a leader ender project it is very doable and practical. I would love one with the tiny white print you auditioned with the 4-patches, but you would need to know how much yardage of background to plan on. Do you have an estimate?

11. Do it! Do it! That quilt is amazing! It won’t be right now, but I felt the same pull to do it as you. I HAVE to get some of UFO’s out of the way. And actually, I do have about 2 dozen of those tiny little four patches sewn. Just didn’t know what to do with them. Although I did notice hers have a light and dark pattern going on and mine are pretty random so it’s not too late to get more intentional, right?

12. Janet O. says:

It will probably be done faster than you think, at the rate you work. And won’t that be a wonderful accomplishment?!?

13. Norby Charlotta Bright says:

I’ve been making 16 patches from my 2” patches and am thinking I’ll set them in a similar way. Though I’d thought of using brightly colored solid squares. But my 2” patches are primarily more colorful and bright. I think I figured I needed 60 16 patches, but I can’t remember off the top of my head how big of a quilt that will make. I know I’m nowhere near there yet.
    Loving the process!

14. Jan Smith says:

I jumped in, too! You are off to a great start.

15. Terri Bertalan says:

I love how you said “I only need 800”

16. Jannette B. says:

I saw that post too – and I thought about it for about 30 seconds… I have about 16 UFOs already!

17. dezertsuz says:

Not at all crazy! I tought you might be making Promised Land.