Leaders/Enders Four Patchese

It feels like I’ve made a million of these little four patches as leader/enders, but my little bin of cut squares is still plenty full.

I didn’t have a plan for these until I saw this post at Crazy Mom Quilts. Go ahead and look, I’ll wait! It might be crazy to think about making a bed quilt out of two inch four patches, but I really love the idea! If I make an 80 by 80 quilt (I would add some borders to make it a bit bigger), and alternate the four patches with plain blocks , I only need…….800 four patches!

I decided to see how many I have so far. I’m nearing the 200 mark. I might get another 200 out of the scraps I have cut. I will definitely need to cut more! But somehow, this actually feels possible.

Then again, I might just be crazy….

18 Responses to Leaders/Enders Four Patchese

1. dezertsuz says:

Not at all crazy! I tought you might be making Promised Land.

2. Jannette B. says:

I saw that post too – and I thought about it for about 30 seconds… I have about 16 UFOs already!

3. Terri Bertalan says:

I love how you said “I only need 800”

4. Jan Smith says:

I jumped in, too! You are off to a great start.

5. Norby Charlotta Bright says:

I’ve been making 16 patches from my 2” patches and am thinking I’ll set them in a similar way. Though I’d thought of using brightly colored solid squares. But my 2” patches are primarily more colorful and bright. I think I figured I needed 60 16 patches, but I can’t remember off the top of my head how big of a quilt that will make. I know I’m nowhere near there yet.
    Loving the process!

6. Janet O. says:

It will probably be done faster than you think, at the rate you work. And won’t that be a wonderful accomplishment?!?

7. Do it! Do it! That quilt is amazing! It won’t be right now, but I felt the same pull to do it as you. I HAVE to get some of UFO’s out of the way. And actually, I do have about 2 dozen of those tiny little four patches sewn. Just didn’t know what to do with them. Although I did notice hers have a light and dark pattern going on and mine are pretty random so it’s not too late to get more intentional, right?

8. Sharon says:

I loved that quilt as soon as I saw it. There is another one on Pinterest with 9-patches that I’ve been admiring for awhile now too. It wouldn’t be crazy to do it unless you just concentrated on the 4-patches. But as a leader ender project it is very doable and practical. I would love one with the tiny white print you auditioned with the 4-patches, but you would need to know how much yardage of background to plan on. Do you have an estimate?

9. Sherrill says:

I saw that when she posted and thought that is something I’d NEVER do. At this point in my life, I need to use up the stash way faster than a quilt like that would allow. But I sit amazed at how pretty they are and that someone will tackle them! LOL You’re almost there!! HA

10. Kyle says:

I saw her post yesterday and for a moment thought…..Love all those little squares together. It’s perfect for a L and E project.

11. karenfae says:

you are not crazy! I have made several using up my tiny scraps like this

12. I read CMQ yesterday, and was a bit boggled by the idea, although I love the look of the quilt. 800 four patch has me a bit boggled, again, but you’ll have it done in no time! I thoroughly enjoy seeing what you are up to!

13. Paula says:

I saw the original quilt and Amanda Jeans, on her post Tuesday and fell in love. It’s a great idea and would be fun to make with lots of different fabrics. I doubt that I would make a bed-size quilt, but I would love to make a large throw. Good luck with your task!

14. JennyM says:

I felt the same way when I saw that post. It will be my next leader and ender. I can’t wait!

15. Nann says:

I saw the CMQuilts post, too. I haven’t made a postage stamp quilt in a while. I have a box full of those little squares. I think they’re calling out to me . . .

16. Suzy R. says:

What an amazing quilt! Good luck and enjoy this quilting adventure.

17. Therese says: