Rabbit Trail….

That’s what Pinterest can be for me!  And one trail leads to another, leads to another……

Anyway, I saw this doll quilt on Pinterest while drinking my morning coffee.

Yeah, I have no idea why the pin describes an office chair. One of the quirks of Pinterest! I decided I needed to try to recreate it with my vintage scraps. So I found a bin and started to dig.

I soon realized that I didn’t have much red so I would have to change the design.

I have no idea how big the original is; I just cut my squares for the 9 patch at 1 1/2 inches and went from there.

I still had to piece some pieces to make it work. I used Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting and a piece of feedsack for the backing. Then I quilted in a hanging diamonds pattern with the walking foot on my new Juki.

I hand washed this one and dried it in the dryer. Love the texture!

Here is a side by side comparison.

Definitely not the same, but it was still fun. And it looks good with my toy machine.

Now I suppose I should go get some housework done.

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Finishes, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Rabbit Trail….

1. You nailed it. The colors are not exact, but I like yours much better. Love the quilt. That Pinterest has cost me more money and taken more of my time than anything that is ‘free’ ever has, but I really enjoy it. Great job. You should post this on Pinterest with the ‘I Tried It’ button.

2. Val W says:

Well, that is just adorable? I like the way you brightened up the colors of the one you saw on Pinterest.

3. Super interpretation inspired by the Pinterest Pin. Rabbit Hole IS the best way to describe Pinterest . . . for many of us!

Super cute!!! I’m the same way on Pinterest, I start looking at one thing and it’s downhill from there. You ended up with a darling quilt. Hugs,

5. Oh goodness, now I want to make one (and I love that little toy sewing machine)! Pinterest is definitely a rabbit hole, but at least you took a pin and made a quilt. I pin but that’s as far as the inspiration seems to go. It’s just a lovely little quilt, Katy! How fun!

6. Sharon says:

OMG! I love that little quilt and your little sewing machine! Both are adorable! I have a real problem with Pinterest. I go on there first thing in the AM with my coffee and hours later I must tear myself away. Inspiration overload, so much so that the ideas are mind boggling and sometimes almost paralyzing. But where would we quilters be without it? Free patterns and tutorials abound also. You were smart to stop looking and start creating. I might follow suit. Thanks for the inspiration Katy.

I think we all know what you mean about Pinterest. LOL! I’m the same way with Youtube! Just look at how quickly you put this little quilt together – from start to finish! I agree that I like YOURS better than the original and it does look adorable with your toy machine.

8. Janet O. says:

Maybe not an exact copy, but definitely “in the spirit of”!
    Sweet. 🙂

9. Jan Horn says:

Love how your little quilt turned out. I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest too but sometimes get frustrated with it.

10. You wouldn’t want it to be exactly the same. Now it’s “your own.” I think the way you had to piece the dotted fabric makes it look authentically vintage! Very nice.

11. JanineMarie says:

Sweet! And piecing pieces is exactly what a vintage quilt would have, so that adds to the appeal.

12. Susan says:

Not exactly the same, but the same feeling. It looks vintage, too. How cute with the sewing machine.

13. Pingback: A Pinterest Project | KatyQuilts