52 Quilters ~ Intro

Good Morning!

This week it is my turn to take the reins of the 52 Quilters Blog, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. I will be cross posting both here and there this week. I’m starting off the week with a brief introduction.

My name is Katy Sweigart and I blog over at KatyQuilts . I am a former librarian, mom of four adult children, Nana to four sweet boys, and wife of Mr. Wonderful. He gets his name from being such a big supporter of me and all my crazy ideas!

I have been quilting for 29 years. I started when my first child was a year old. As a mom of four small children, sewing became my therapy. It was the only thing I did each day that stayed done!

I think you can learn a lot about a person by taking a look at what they create. So in this post, I’m sharing a few of my favorite quilts with you.

I love all forms of quilting, except appliqué and English Paper Piecing. I’ve just never gotten along with the A word and EPP is not much better. I rarely use patterns, but often find inspiration in antique quilts.

I enjoy making modern quilts, art quilts, traditional quilts and everything in between. Most of the time I machine piece and machine quilt. My long arm quilting machine is one of the very best investments I’ve ever made!

I am very involved with the Quilts of Valor Foundation, creating quilts for out veterans and active duty service men and women. Here is one that I made for my daughter, a USAF vet.

Scrap quilts are my favorite! This one was made as a leader/ender project.

Oh, did I mention that I live in Michigan?

I have an Accuquilt Studio die cutter that I love. It makes quilts like the one above so accurate.

Mini quilts are so fun to make. This is one of my favorites.

This next one is called The Journey of the Bride. The design was made with a bleach resist technique. It has one verse from each chapter of the Song of Solomon quilted into it.

This scrappy quilt was another leader/ender project. It has been pinned over 10,000 times on Pinterest!

One of my favorite bible verses was the inspiration for this one.

This little Valentine quilt was a fun project.

And lastly, this was a personal challenge. I wanted to see if I could make a QR Code quilt that would really work. And it does! Go ahead and scan it with your smart phone!

I hope you enjoyed a look at some of my quilts. I’ve got some fun quilty things planned for this week so meet me over on Twitter and Instagram. I’ll be back on the blog tomorrow with a tour of my quilt studio.

This entry was posted in 52 Quilters, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 52 Quilters ~ Intro

1. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    So many pretty quilts you shared this morning! That QR one is really slick! Now how the heck did you figure that out?!! I can’t wait to see your studio tomorrow. ~smile~ Roseanne

2. blackeyedsewsan says:

Guess I have followed you a long time-I knew all but the bible verse quilt-I love that you received 10,000 hits on Pinterest! Wowser-pride! Love that 1 & adore the one you made for your daughter. It’s 1 of my all time favs. Have a fun week with all of this. Susan

3. Karen says:

As a fellow Michigander, I LOVE your Michigan quilt! I so enjoy reading your blog, and lurk daily.

4. I enjoyed seeing all of these gems in one post. You are a prolific quilter! Thanks for sharing these delightful quilts.

5. Kathy D says:

Such fun to see some of your favorites; love so many of these, but the two that I react most to are the Michigan quilt and the Journey of the Bride. Your work is gorgeous!

6. I am a long time follower of you. This will be a fun week to see all that you have to share! Your QR code is the coolest!!

7. So excited to see you on 52 Quilters this week! I’d love to see the quilting on the Journey of the Bride quilt up close. I still think that QR Code quilt is a grand idea. So fun!

8. Luann says:

I just had to grab my phone, push the camera app, aim it at your QR Code quilt, and Waa Laa,,,, up came a little box to take me to the website. Now I know ‘how’ it works, I’ll be more apt to scan them when I am out and about. ALL of your quilts are so very nice, but I must admit, your Heart is one I have kept as an inspiration for a ‘color wheel’ piece using my hand dyed fabrics.

I love all the quilt pictures you shared. That is a wonderful picture of you, you look lovely. Have a great week! Hugs,

10. Sharon says:

Your quilts are magnificent! I love this little quilt show of yours. It reminds me of quilts I have seen and enjoyed in the past and shows how truly versatile you are.

11. Oh boy, I REALLY enjoyed this summary of your quilt journey. I saw a few quilts of yours that I’ve not seen before. You are so talented and your quilting is wonderful! I have a question for you on the quilt that was pinned 10,000 times. I am curious at the order of sewing on that one. Do you sew rows at a time? Or make blocks and then sew the blocks into rows?

What a wonderful sampling of your quilts, Katy! I’m familiar with them all but for the Journey of the Bride and the bible verse “Justice Thou Shalt Pursue”. I love the photo of you. You look far too young to be the mother of four grown children and a grandma! I’m looking forward to more of your posts as always.