Finish It Up Friday ~ Scrappy Rectangles!

This is a big finish today! I wouldn’t have gotten it done except that hubby is out of town on business. My house is a mess, but my quilt is done! The first two pics show the quilting before washing.

I got that backing at JoAnn’s with a coupon. It is really quite a nice fabric.

If you remember, I was toying with the idea of adding a border of some sort. I ended up not doing that, but thought I would try a wider binding instead. I cut my strips 3 1/2 inches wide instead of my normal 2 1/2 inches for binding. Does this fabric look familiar?

I pulled it to use in my Military Mystery quilt, but I saw it when looking for a binding fabric and grabbed it for this instead! I found another navy to use for the mystery quilt that I like better anyway.

I rarely prewash anything any more, but I do have some prewashed pieces in my stash. This blue polka dot was one. The rest of the quilt was unwashed fabric. So I decided to wash the quilt before binding so the quilt wouldn’t shrink more than the binding, leaving a ruffled edge. I have done this before with decent results. I have also skipped this step and was not happy! So here are the finish pictures. Tadaaaa!!!

The only scraps I didn’t use were civil war repros. Everything else went in:

Here’s a shot of that wide binding:

The scraps finish at 1 1/2 by 3 inches. I just love the texture this panto gives!

It’s living on the guest bed for now.

And that’s a wrap! Have a great day!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom QuiltsWhims and FanciesSew Can She, A Quilting Reader’s Garden

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Leader/Ender, Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Scrappy Rectangles!

1. Hi there — any chance you have a purchaseable pattern for this stunning quilt? Thanks for your help with this request.

2. Ellen Tichenor says:

I loved making this one!! I used gray as well! It was a lot of fun and put a slight dent in my scraps. Need to make another!!

3. Christine KING says:

Hey ~
    how darn affective is this! Well done you! I am about to start on a quilt as a wedding present for May, 2019 and
    the bride-to-be likes blues greens black purple and red!
    Well I thought how to complete a quilt featuring all AND up this pops.
    A BIG “Thank You” for sharing ~ Christine

4. Brenda Wiese says:

Thanks so much for posting your quilt.It is really nice been looking for a scrappy quilt idea that is easy .I think this will do . Thanks Merry Christmas .

5. Machelle says:

Thank you! What an awesome idea! I just took pictures of my scrappy rectangle quilt. I love it! No one is getting this one! I’m keeping it!

6. carla payne says:

How did you put through rows together and the strip are 1 and a 1/2 by 3

7. Anne says:

great idea a love the wider binding. great looking quilt. did you use your home machine or long arm?

8. Sherry says:

Beautiful and I’m all about using up scraps. Do you think this would work using denim instead of the gray pieces? Would the difference in fabric thickness work out?

9. Pingback: Best of 2016 | KatyQuilts

10. Cari says:

Home machine quilting? If so, Did you use a Stencil to mark?

11. dezertsuz says:

I didn’t comment on this? Where was I???? It’s fabulous, and I love the quilting on it.

12. Pingback: DWMonday ~ Leaders/Enders | KatyQuilts

13. Lindy Gibbon says:

This has really inspired me as a relative newcomer to the joys of machine quilting (well anything to do with quilting actually!). Thanks for posting all the pictures. It is a glorious quilt.
    Best wishes from the UK!

14. Carla Marsh says:

I love this quilt=Srappy Rectangles. What size are the rectangles unfinished? What size is the quilt? Carla Marsh. carlaandjim@wildblue.net

15. I just love this quilt. I am interested in your perfect quilting design. Can you tell us how you quilted it? Template? Free motion? Computer aided? Well done

16. Tammy says:

Love it. What size is it and do you have any idea how much yardage for the solid gray/blue?

17. Lisa Berringer says:

Nice job! I like how happy it looks

18. Mindy says:

I, too, am wondering about the size of the rectangles. I’m a newbie and I just happen to have a slew of fat quarters (purchased years ago when I thought I might someday be a quilter). This would be, I think, easy enough to do.

19. Sharon A Browne says:

Absolutely LOVE this quilt!! Especially love the colors you used and the grey background really makes the colors pop. I’m wondering how much yardage you need for the background and what size the rectangles are? I found your blog through crazymomquilts finish it up friday.

20. Trish says:

So very nice. I love patchwork quilts.

21. Scrappy quilts are THE BEST!

22. Chantal says:

Great job Katy. Love all the beautiful different fabrics in this one. Love the headboard of that bed too. Congrats on the finish. ;^)

23. Sandra says:

Saw this in my email yesterday and gasped…you are so FAST!!! From starting one row to the next day a finish?! And you had to work a very long day? What, are there two of you?! It’s a beauty (and looks huge in that tree on Instagram!!) and the fans was a great choice for quilting. To think you’ve got a quilt that huge made in between your other main projects…cool. My scrap vortex is still growing, but not as fast as you get through things! Love the fabrics in the military mystery too. Oh, and you are a no-reply again… 😦

24. Barb says:

I have really been enjoying this quilt. In fact, I bought the GO die for that size rectangle so I can start on my scraps. Love the quilting! Thank you for your inspiration! Barb

25. Kim says:

Wow. Love this quilt. What color did you use to tie it all together–grey or blue?

26. Jenny Benton says:

Look wonderful, an I love the blue/grey you have used with all your scraps.

27. Louise says:

Katie, you did a great job of using your stash…love the colors with the gray..super neat quilt and of course the quilting. Voila!

28. Loving it more every time I see it! Congratulations!

29. Julie in WA says:

This is beautiful! What color is your neutral? Grey or blue?

30. Absolutely beautiful and a great scrap buster, I’m sure!

31. anudge says:

Wow, what an accomplishment. It’s a gorgeous scrappy quilt. And the quilting – just right. Is that a modified Baptist fan? Love it. Congrats, Katy! I’m late in posting WIPs Be Gone for this Friday, but hope you will come by later and link it.

32. Robby says:

Love this quilt. And yay for husbands going out of town so we can sew like nobody’s business, eh? That housework isn’t going anywhere, so why not sew?! From the looks of this beauty you made the right call.

33. Oh, your guests will have a lot of fun looking at all the fun little pieces! Congrats on a GREAT finish! I’d also be curious to know how you answered Carie’s questions about the wider binding.

34. Carie says:

Oh wow it looks fantastic and I love the quilting. Did you leave a slightly wider batting edge to wrap the binding around or is the binding pulled more around to the back?

35. Christine Sherman says:

A fine example of how great scraps can end up being, love it!

36. What a lovely quilt … and you’re right, the quilting gives it such a lovely texture! I’ve never made a wider binding, but I like the idea and will give it a try.

37. Melanie says:

Absolutely fabulous; love it and love that the dark gray showcases the prints…..on my bucket list, too! I don’t have any dark gray in my stash yet, but I do have your backing fabric, purchased for another project but changed my mind.

38. Julie says:

I love this! The quilting is perfect and all those scraps are so fun!!

39. Angie R Kiker says:

It’s very nice, and you did great with that pantograph. I have a hard time keeping a smooth curve going, so I rely on my Baptist Fan template board when doing a similar pattern. Wonderful scrappy Quilt!

It. is. FANTASTIC!!!

41. Sandra B says:

Amazing quilt, Katy!!
    When I see this quilt, at first glance, I think of an old fashioned checkerboard quilt, but the rectangles and the alternating blue blocks give this old pattern a fresh new look….I love it!! I definitely need to make this one!!
    Perfect choice on the quilting pattern…..

42. WOW! A spectacular way to use us scraps! It’s a winner!

43. Diane says:

I have to admit, when I first saw the quilt in the making, I wasn’t sure I liked it but I have changed my mind. I love it! It was a lot of work but worth it.

44. piecefulwendy says:

What a beauty! Scrappy quilts are so much fun. Thanks for showing some close ups of the fabrics in the quilt!

45. Linda Mincher says:

It looks great!!

46. Ramona says:

Your quilt looks great! I love the “I Spy” aspect of it. Such fun… and it will give your guests things to find when they visit. 🙂 Beautiful finish.

47. Julierose says:

Oh what a lovely finish–a beautiful quilt you really did a good job on it…hugs, Julierose

48. Karen says:

Very pretty quilt. Awesome scrap buster quilt. I am sure all your scraps have been used in this quilt. 😀

49. Denise Boysel says:

Beautiful; and inspiration for a bucket list