I’ve been thinking….

……yes, I know that can be dangerous! Anyway, I’ve been longarm quilting for about seven years now. Lately, I’ve been thinking about starting to long arm quilt for others. I have a few friends I’ve quilted for and I do quite a few tops for Quilts of Valor, but mostly, I just quilt for myself.

There seem to be quite a few long arm quilters in my area, but there may not be in yours. So I was thinking of offering quilting by mail. Clients can send their tops and I will mail back the quilted quilt.

I’m thinking about trying this out on a very limited basis to see how it goes and work out the kinks. I would most likely offer only edge to edge designs to begin with.

Obviously, I need to come up with prices, options, shipping details etc.

But I guess the point of this post, is to ask if you think there would be any interest in this?

If any of you have had quilts quilted by others, what did you like? What didn’t you like?

Anything you’d love to tell your long arm quilter?

I would so appreciate any and all comments as I consider this.

This entry was posted in HQ Forte, Long Arm Quilting, Longarm Quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to I’ve been thinking….

1. Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts says:

I haven’t done any quilting for customers by mail, so am of no help to you there. But here’s my two cents – once the word gets out locally that you are open for business, it won’t take long before you’ll have as much business as you want. Your friends will spread the word to their quilting friends, and you can let your local quilt shop know you are accepting clients, as well as your guild members. Word of mouth is my only advertising and I stay extremely busy. There are lots of longarmers in my area, and I’m not the cheapest, but I do offer custom quilting in addition to E2E and that is a large part of my business. I say Go for It! and put the word out. It is so fun to get to quilt tops that i will never have time to make, and that makes it gratifying. You will always have the challenging tops, but that just stretches your creativity. 🙂 Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

2. allisonwp says:

Hi! Katy. Do you follow Rachel Hauser’s blog, Stitched in Color? She started her long arm quilting business a couple of years ago. It might be worth taking a look through some of her posts to pick up some tips and ideas for how to go about doing this. Rachel moved from North Carolina to Holland about 18 months ago so her business has shifted to Europe.
    I know so many people, myself included, who don’t attempt large projects because quilting them on a domestic machine is just too frustrating! I’m sure the market isn’t saturated, especially as so many people already know about the high quality of your work through following your blog.

3. Yvonne says:

Your quilting is beautiful. Wish I was living near you, I let you quilt mine. Sending it over from and to Europe would be to expensive.

4. anudge says:

You do such excellent longarm edge to edge quilting that I would certainly use your service once you were up and running except for the distance it would have to travel in the mail. Shipping has become so expensive. However, I think you would do well just with quilters closer to you.

5. Quiltmouse says:

I only quilt baby & throw sized quilts on my domestic machine. Anything bigger & I get frustrated & that’s not why I quilt. The quilts larger ones I have done by a friend who does it for a business. She is about 3 hours away. I will mail her the top & backing & she mails the completed quilt back to me. If we need an excuse for a day trip we might drop off/pick up in person. We talk threads & design via phone, email or text. I give her some opinions/thoughts, but she is the “artist” & “quilt as desired” just doesn’t come to me easily, so I trust her eye to what looks best. We use priority mail with tracking & insurance. Your work is beautiful. I am sure you will find clients enough to keep you busy!

6. I think its a great idea! I’m one who doesn’t enjoy the “quilting” so many of the tops I make go unfinished or donated. I’ve had a few professionally quilted and the results have been great — I always go for the edge to edge designs– I’m a simple person and prefer to have the fabric as the focal point not the quilting.

I think it would be a wonderful idea! I would trust you implicitly with anything I would piece. You would find yourself swamped, Katy.

8. Judy B Stone says:

Sometimes the thought of mailing a quilt will make a customer worry about it being “lost”. Also, the cost of mailing is a consideration. I had a quilt “lost” and even though it was insured, the form they gave me to fill out was extensive. You need all your receipts and they don’t consider your time to piece as part of the expense. The quilt was eventually found – stuck on a shelf in the post office, maybe waiting for an expiration date. These are just things for you to consider. No matter what, best wishes to you!! Your work is superior!

9. You are an awesome quilter and I’m sure your services would be welcome!!
    Communication is key. Make sure you are both of=n the same page about what kind of quilting you will do on that specific quilt.

10. Your quilting is always wonderful and I would definitely use you as a quilter, but I have two friends here in Maine that I alternate with as they both need the support. I wish you luck in your new venture and I am pretty sure you will have no trouble finding business! Keep up the good work.

11. Paula Alden says:

I love so many of your projects and I would be interested as well. You seem to have a knack for choosing the right design for the quilts. I have some quilts I’m ready to send. LOL!

12. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy! I’ve had a few queen size quilts quilted by a longarmer. My only complaint is that she has cats and lets them on the quilts. Since I’m allergic it bothers me to even sew down the binding. Otherwise, I think it’s a logical step for you to take. {{Hugs}} It will all work out perfectly if it’s meant to be, which I think it is. ~smile~ Roseanne

13. E Stevens says:

I would be interested.

14. Kathy D. says:

This could be a good time for you to enter the market, since many people have kept busy piecing during the pandemic, so there may be an abundance of tops needing quilting. I can attest to your high quality of workmanship in the Quilts of Valor you have quilted for me and others over the years. One challenge you may deal with in doing transactions by mail is tops that aren’t pieced as well as they could be. Longarmers I’ve dealt with, typically in person, look over a top over as it’s dropped off, and could spot issues that need fixing before accepting the work. I’ve been very pleased with quilts I’ve had longarmed, and love when a longarmer can suggest a pattern that complements my piecing.

15. thenosebump says:

Hi, I’ve been thinking, and yes it can be dangerous!!!, about doing the same thing!!