Slow Stitching Mother’s Day

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you moms out there! I think I speak for most when I say I’d like nothing more than to see my kids today. That won’t happen, but I will get some slow stitching in. I’ve basted the vintage quilt I purchased and deconstructed last week and begun quilting.

Were you expecting something other than Baptist fans?

And I’m using my new to me quilt frame! This is my Mother’s Day gift from Mr. Wonderful.

I found it on FB Marketplace. It folds completely flat.

I had never seen a frame like this before. The basted quilt is placed over the base and the frame is set on top to hold it in place. It is beautifully made from solid oak.

It was made by Heartland Quiltworks. Sadly, it appears they have gone out of business.

The quilting space is about 22 by 30 inches. Years ago, I hand quilted using hubby’s grandmother’s floor frame. Using this is a lot like that. I’ve placed it in the corner of my family room. I can turn it to watch TV or to look out the windows. The natural light is wonderful! When I’m not quilting, I close the shades to minimize fading.

This entry was posted in Hand quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Slow Stitching Mother’s Day

1. That is so beautiful!! Neat Frame!!

2. Diana says:

I love that you’re hand quilting that quilt. It’s beautiful. If you wouldn’t mind, could you tell me how tall your quilt frame is? Thank you

3. All I can say is WOW. You didn’t waste any time getting that quilt into quilting mode! Love the quilt, your setup, complete with the coziness of your doggies… and your baptist fan quilting is so gorgeous. That is a very cool floor frame.

Love the quilting frame, Katy. How perfect that it fits in your corner window area which affords great light during the day. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day.

5. Patricia Ludwiczak says:

Love your quilting – can’t wait to see it complete? Do you use a stencil to mark it? I’ve had trouble finding one, and am always nervous about using marking pens. Time to get over it!

6. Eileen Emerson says:

What a beautiful purposeful find. Looks great and seems like it would work really well.

7. ChristieB says:

This looks like a real gem! If I did hand quilting anymore, I would hunt for one of these! HUGS… and stitches

8. What a great find, Katy! I like the size of it and it looks like it is easy to use. That quilt just makes my little heart pitter patter – that cheddar is gorgeous!

9. Katy, your hand quilting is beautiful!! and you can’t go wrong with Baptist Fans! ❤

10. Pam Thorne says:

I have one of those that I bought from the company back in the ’90’s! They advertised in Country Woman magazine and I bought one and LOVED using it! I still have it. Saw it in the attic the other day and my fingers have been itching to hand quilt again. I love that you can sit it in a corner of a room and it doesn’t take up much space. This was before my longarm purchase and I used to just layer everything at the center of the quilt and start there with no basting.