Ugh

If you are squeamish, look away now. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

I decided this would be the first UFO I would tackle. Those dang thistle leaves are why I set it aside. For the one on the right, I ironed a freezer paper pattern to the back side and tried to trim the fabric as I went. You can hardly tell it is a thistle leaf.

For the next one, I ironed a pattern to the top. Then I traced around it with a chalk pencil.

It was a bit better, but not great. No, it is worse than not great, it is down right awful. I’ll spare you the closeup.

I’ll remind you what it was supposed to look like.

Um, yeah, not even close. Mine doesn’t even look like folk art, it just looks like terrible workmanship. Which it is. All this is to say that not everything turns out like you imagine it will. Not looking for sympathy or comments, I just like being honest and showing the ugly along with the good. I figure, it’s good for a laugh!

And since I never know when to stop and throw in the towel, I’m going to forge ahead with this ugly duckling. It could go well with my Calamity Jane quilt.

I might wait a few days though.

Have a good one!

14 Responses to Ugh

1. karenlogcabinquilter says:

I guessed correctly. As soon as I saw your block, I thought it was from one of Gwen Marston books. I had planned on making one but it hasn’t happened yet.

2. Shasta says:

Looks good to me! It doesn’t look like the pattern, but only people who see the pattern and remember what it looked like will know. I like words like improv, folkart, and organic if I have to, but generally I follow a lesson I learned from my contractors, and direct people’s to other areas, standing in the way or covering up the area if necessary.

3. Oh my, you are way too hard on yourself! I would have simply smoothed out the leaves in the first place – cheating right from the start! I love yours!

4. Now I know why I don’t do applique!!! Seriously though, do you snip the edges as you stitch, to give more definition to the pieces? It’s a trick that I learned from garment sewing…

5. Janice says:

I appreciate you sharing the “real” quilt journey on this one. It helps to know I’m not alone when sometimes things just don’t even come close to what you had intended. Quilt on!! 😀

6. Nancy Morneault says:

Ha, I avoid applique like the plague. Yours looks pretty good to me. Who’s going to know what it was supposed to look like. Make it your own!

7. Thanks for ‘keeping it real’ Katy! Sometimes the stream of perfection on blogs and social media gets to be crushing instead of inspiring. I think I’d forget needle turn applique and turn to double-sided Bondaweb. Hats off to you for persevering to achieve what’s in your head 🙂

8. It looks fantastic to me! Of course, I’m the queen of the Humble Quilt! LOL

9. Tami Von Zalez says:

Poor thing, it tries to be thistle. That plant is the bane of livestock. I give you kudos for persevering. Fraid I would send it on to mystery quilter via thrift shop.

10. Julierose says:

Never mind what it is “supposed” to look like; look at it as a learning stopover in your applique journey–a good documentation …I never do needleturn as I really stink at it–
    I use the cardboard template/starch turn method . by the way–it looks good to me..
    ;))).hugs, julierose

11. Deb says:

I don’t think your leaves are too bad.. it’s the stiffness of the stems in both patterns that get me ..the stems need a few little buds on them,or a center flower.. just a thought. Keep on,I find you brave just for trying!!

12. For those sharp little edges on the leaves, I’d try a glue stick next time (if there will be a next time – LOL). I’m not good at needle turn, so a glue stick makes me look better at applique. All in all, I think it’s coming along well, Katy.

13. Eileen says:

Using freezer paper, my points are terrible ! Why don’t you try using glue and apliquick, I think it gives better results ! It ‘s a pretty project !

14. Kathy D. says:

Not clear to me how to get the sharp edges the original has when using needle turn applique (if that’s the technique you used.) That being said, your leaves don’t offend me at all. This may be a case of “Comparison is the thief of joy.” Forge ahead!