Finish It Up Friday ~ Ebay Doll Quilt

I was perusing Pinterest yesterday morning and came across this quilt. When I clicked through the link it brought me to this auction page. It appears this sweet quilt just sold. I loved it and decided right then to make my own version.

I made extensive use of this die and my Accuquilt studio cutter.

After making strip sets for the blocks, I used the same die to subcut my units.

It didn’t take long at all to make my blocks, even though I made six instead of four.

Here is my pieced top.

One of the things I loved about the little vintage quilt, was the quirky quilting. I quilted mine in a similar fashion. After I started adding the binding, I decided it needed more quilting.

Bad idea. Very bad.

Since it was already off the long arm, I had to finish with the walking foot on my domestic machine. After adding a little more in the cross hatch area, I had to add more in the diagonals. Ugh. I finally quilt and put the binding back on.

I need to learn that sometimes less is more.

A good wash helped, but I really wish I hadn’t added more quilting.

The back is a hot mess for sure.

But it doesn’t look too bad on my little bed!

I guess I’ll keep it.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Busy Hands Quilts , Katie Mae Quilts

This post contains affiliate links.

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Doll Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Ebay Doll Quilt

1. Linda says:

Soooo cute!!! And I like your quilting . . . gives it a quirky look … unexpected. I love doll quilts, glad you aren’t selling yours.

2. Connie says:

I love, love, love this post and your quilt. You inspire me! Thank you!

3. Dotti says:

I love the way you just decide to run with a project and finish it so quickly. Oh to have that energy again. So sweet.

4. Adorable!! I love when you tell of ways to use your strip dyes. It opens up new ideas I might not have thought of. Thanks!

I think it’s as cute as it can be. I love it. Quirky is good. Hugs,

6. chrisknits says:

All of your recent projects are just wonderful, the baby is the cutest though! Love this quilt, I think it looks great with the quilting.

7. Wow! I don’t think it was a bad idea except for maybe the extra work. I think it came out beautifully! I adore it!

8. This is another very cute little quilt for your bed. I love the scrunchy look after washing!

9. Rebecca Grace says:

Your doll quilt is darling! Do you use those strip dies a lot? I bought a GO! Baby and an assortment of dies but haven’t used them yet. The strip dies totally intimidate me. How do you keep the fabric totally on grain as it goes through the cutter for strips? Aren’t the die blades angled, but the fabric needs to go in straight? Wish I could see an in-person demo. Your doll quilt is fabulous!

10. Mary C says:

You are such an inspiration Kathy . I love this little quilt

11. Julie Stocker says:

Can I add a, “Yeah, but…?” I think the quirky quilting adds to it a lot even though it was a pain after the fact. I think old quilts really do show more of a make do, improvisational style, and how cool that yours is this unique. I love it, and I’d keep it too. Beautiful work, and good story, Katy.