Finish It Up Friday ~ Checkers

This was such a fun quilt to make!

Sometimes things just seem to fall into place. It all started with this old pack of samples given to me by a friend.

I send all but two pieces to make this.

I had great fun with the freehand quilting on this.

Still working on my machine binding. I’m still not satisfied, but it is getting better.

I could have used pretty much anything on the back, but I do like the yellow.

I love the texture! This kind of quilting is actually quite forgiving. There is so much going on that it is easy to hide mistakes.

This one might be hard to part with.

I think it will hang here in the sewing room for a while.

Linking up with Busy Hands Quilts , Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Crazy Mom Quilts , Anja Quilts

This entry was posted in Baby Quilts, Finishes, Free Motion Quilting, HQ Forte, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Checkers

1. Squares in a rainbow of colors, striped binding, and that fun quilting? Sounds like a recipe for the perfect quilt!!!

2. The quilting on that quilt is amazing! Who would have thought a bag of samples could lead to a beauty like this? It’s fabulous.

3. Tami Von Zalez says:

I have tried machine binding but am just not happy with the result, so all of mine are finished with french binding.

4. barbvedder says:

FABULOUS QUILTING ! love all the photos

5. Wow…look at the quilting. Well done. Thanks for linking up your finish with Thank Goodness It’s Finished Friday.

6. Your quilting rocks! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

7. anudge says:

What a gorgeous quilt.

8. Kathleen Kingsbury says:

Looks like you had a lot of fun with the quilting. It looks great!

9. Anne says:

Wasn’t too sure about plain gray on a baby quilt but filling it with so many different quilting motifs changes everything. I can imagine a fascinated toddler tracing along all the pathways.
    A few tips for machine binding that work for me. When sewing it to the back, keep the binding stretched just a tad more than the top to minimize waviness. Then press from the back to help it lay flatter before folding over to the front. And for the front top-stitching, I find it easier to use a stiletto as I go to hold it straight instead of pins. Hope this helps.

10. Jasmine @ Quilt Kisses says:

This looks awesome! I love seeing how you combine the FMQ designs in your quilting. I’d keep this one for sure. It looks great on your wall.

11. Beautiful. Love everything about it. Minimalism – yes. Bright colors on a grey background – yes. Off center placement – yes. Striped binding – yes. And the quilting just takes it to a whole another level!!!

12. Oh I don’t think I could part with this one either! I love the front with the colorful strip and all the quilting. When you showed the backing, I fell completely in love with it. You can send it to me when you’re tired of it. Hahaha! Nice finish, Katy!

13. chrisknits says:

Just stunning!!! I love the back as much as the front!! I am in awe of your “mistake” FMQ!! You can’t convince me there are any mistakes in that gorgeousness!

This is Gorgeous! I love all the quilting and the simple patchwork, it’s just stunning. Hugs,

15. Your quilting is fabulous. It’s a lovely quilt.

16. Sharon Browne says:

I really like your little quilt, especially the colors and the quilting! It’s amazing what inspiration can be gotten by a little bundle of gifted fabric!

17. That’s a cute one!! I would have a hard time parting with it, too!

18. Kathy S. says:

Fun quilting for sure. Looks like you really enjoyed making little doodles. Congrats on a fun finish.

19. Gorgeous quilt – Fabulous quilting!!

20. Angie Kaschube says:

This quilt is GORGEOUS!!!! I have only only been following your blog for a month or so, but this is my favorite so far!!!