Jelly Roll Race

I have had a bin of jelly roll strips from Connecting Threads for ages. I finally decided to do something with them. I like the concept of jelly roll race quilts, but I’m not always thrilled with the results.

I saw a tip on Pinterest to cut your strips into halves and thirds to make your jelly roll race quilt look more scrappy. I decided to try it. I think I started with over 50 strips. If you don’t know what a jelly roll race quilt is, give it a Google. It’s a pretty neat idea.

I set up at the kitchen counter to sew the ends of my strips together because I was waiting for a package that I had to sign for.

i did go back to my Juki for sewing the long strips together because that machine just flies! I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I think it ended up being about 64 by 72 inches.

I think it will be a fun top to quilt.

This entry was posted in Jelly Rolls, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Jelly Roll Race

1. Jules says:

I like that tip. I hadn’t heard it before .Halves and thirds will certainly make it scrappier. Yours looks great.

2. Janice Christy says:

I agree. Much more interesting. Perfect for a donation quilt and perfect for practicing machine quilting techniques. Thanks for sharing.

3. Carol says:

What a great idea to cut up the strips. It makes for a much more pleasing and interesting quilt.

4. blackeyedsewsan says:

I do like it as a vertical as opposed to a horizontal boring textile. On a getaway the guild had a race and there wasn’t a single product I liked. Your method breaks it up. Glad you had some neat projects for your ‘free’ week-so disappointing to have to regroup. Susan

5. Nann says:

Cutting the strips is a good idea indeed. I chose Christmas reds/greens for a JRR challenge in our guild and ended up with big blobs of red and blobs of green, not appealing at all.

6. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

I hadn’t heard of that tip. It looks great.

7. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    Now that is a fabulous idea and tip to cut the strips in half or thirds before starting to sew them together. That was the one thing I didn’t care about that quilt top is the fabric being all together in one block. Drove me nuts! I want to see how you quilt this one (when you can – sorry). ~smile~ Roseanne

8. Val W. says:

I really like how much scrappier this technique makes the quilt. Now I want to try making a jelly roll race quilt again. Maybe with a contrasting color square between strips to give it a kick.

9. Kathy D. says:

Really like the look you got by cutting the strips shorter. Will have to remember this idea!

10. Wanda Hanson says:

i have been using that method of using short pieces left over from binding, etc, and then cutting most of the 45″ strips into halves and thirds since 2011. I call my quilts Random Plank because they remind me of the random length pieces of hardwood in my kitchen floor. I have been saving pieces for about 5 years now so I think I have enough to do another good size quilt with the Jelly Roll Race sewing method.

11. Great tip, Katy. I made a jelly roll race and the top came out too narrow. It’s in my pile of UFOs, and I’m on the fence about what to do with it. I can’t find the fabric any longer, so no borders, etc. I actually may cut it up and redesign it. Next time, I’ll use this method.

12. Paula says:

Oh, I like this so much better than the regular jelly roll race quilts! Thanks for the tip.

13. Julierose says:

Great tip for those strips–I usually don’t like their “matchey-matchiness”; but your method breaks them up nicely…hugs, Julierose

14. Awesome idea and it looks wonderful

15. bewtjwgmailcom says:

love your colors

16. I like that much better and I hadn’t heard that tip. Thanks.

17. abydolinger says:

The hues of the strips remind me of men’s neckties. Thanks for the tip of cutting the strips in halves or thirds ahead of time. The effect is really nice.

18. Zenia Rene says:

I love it! I recently made one too. I haven’t posted about it, but I did have shorter strips peppered in there. it turned out great too.

19. Judy Domke says:

I really like this. I’ve resisted the Jelly Roll Race for a long time but now I might give it a go doing it this way. Thanks for sharing.

20. Pingback: Finish It Up Friday ~ Jelly Roll Quilt | KatyQuilts