A Different Sort of Fabric Project

I recently picked up this vintage rocker at a yard sale. Yesterday was the day to tackle reupholstering it.

The first thing I did was remove that backing. Wow! Loved what I found underneath!

The seat was another story. Yuck!

I forged ahead until I was left with this. The springs and ties were actually in good shape.

This is the fabric I picked up for it.

Upholstering is definitely not my strong suit. The oak is very hard and I struggled with bending and breaking tacks. But it’s done and it is surprisingly comfortable.

I’m still on the fence about the fabric I chose. Maybe it will grow on me.

This entry was posted in Home projects. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Different Sort of Fabric Project

1. dezertsuz says:

The finish is wonderful. I, too, like the back. I don’t know why someone would cover up that beautiful wood! For just a little work and some fabric, you have a beautiful rocker.

2. I like the finish. The fabric goes well with the style and age of the chair.

3. anudge says:

I like the fabric – the muted background works great in the room. You did good.

4. Sue B says:

What a great find! My grandma had one like that on her front porch where you could see Lake Superior in the distance (she lived in Baraga), wonderful memories seeing that chair. Love the cushion fabric too.

5. Michelle says:

Beautiful!!! and the fabric fits the majestic oak that it is

6. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    What a beautiful oak chair! And what a find after taking off that back fabric – I just want to run my hand over that wood. If it could only talk, and tell us its history. I like the fabric you chose – I know how hard it was to put in those tacks. But now you’re a pro – you can change it again any time you wish. ~smile~ Roseanne

7. Louise says:

I have a matching knitting cabinet…I think that is what it is called, knitting needles fit nicely inthe side bins. Love it.

8. I think it looks great! The colors go perfectly with the rich wood. GREAT PROJECT!

9. Shasta says:

What a great find. I bought a chair/rocker that needed upholstering but I never got around to it and wound up giving it to someone who would take the time to do it.

10. Quiltmouse says:

So glad you left the back exposed! Love the wood and I think you did a marvelous job!! Did you add a layer of batting or something to help cushion the seat? I like the fabric you used, but could also envision using a small quilt to cover the seat (maybe with a matching quilt to drape over the back?? 🙂 ). Thanks for sharing.

That is a wonderful find!! I love rockers and yours looks beautiful. I like the fabric you used too. Hugs,

12. What a great find, and you make the process of replacing the seat look pretty easy. Oak is hard wood, for sure. We ripped apart a rocker about a year ago, so I know what you found when you took the seat apart. Gross stuff, indeed! I took the springs from the rocker and use them for decorations. They are cute with a skinny vase nestled inside holding a flower.

13. Cocoa Quilts says:

What a great find. Hard to believe that someone covered up that beautiful back. I like the fabric, great job!

14. Karen says:

what a great find – I never find stuff like this we just do not have good antique/flea markets around here. I would need a cushion on that back as I rather thin in places and my bones need some padding 🙂 what a great chair you have there.