Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Churn Dash

It’s done! Remember the sad quilt that hubby bought me for my birthday? I took it apart and it has been requilted and bound. Here are a couple before shots to refresh your memory.

And here are a few when the quilting was done.

Time for a bath. Yuck! The batting and backing were brand new so all this yuck is from the top.

It took two plain water soaks, one with Restore and Dawn dish soap and a few more rinses, but, wow, what a difference!

I used unbleached muslin for the backing and Quilter’s Dream Request 100% cotton batting. I used a stencil available from Fun with Barb to mark the fans.

The binding is a vintage fabric from my great aunt’s stash. She would have been 101 this year!

It was rather dark and cloudy so my photos aren’t the best. I’m just glad I got some before the rain came!

I enjoyed many hours of quilting this beautiful top. It was a birthday gift that keeps on giving!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Busy Hands Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Anja Quilts

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Churn Dash

1. Oh my, what a difference! You really have a jewel of a quilt now. It looks so happy. 🙂

2. Mary b says:

What a rescue! I like your aunts stash binding too

3. blackeyedsewsan says:

Oh my! It looks terrific Katy. I have a top that needs cleaning horridly but guess I really need to just suck it up & quilt it and then clean it! I ruined one top already back in my ‘frisky’ days-live & learn, eh wot? Susan

4. Karen says:

I think it looks great – what a treasure

5. rl2b2017 says:

Katy,
    Love, love, LOVE. I’m going to call you the quilt whisperer from now on. What a beautiful save for this wonderful quilt. ~smile~ Roseanne

6. Val W. says:

Wow, what a gorgeous makeover. You definitely brought out this classic quilt’s beauty.

7. What a beautiful quilt! I love the two together too. Love reading your blog.

8. barbvedder says:

amazing transformation!! your quilting is fabulous as usual!

9. helen freese says:

Unfamiliar–please tell me what “Restore” is? My husband took a class in restoring old needlework and he does not know what it is. He has been using shampoo to clean old embroideries. Thanks. Helen

It is beautiful and lovely quilting! Hugs,

11. Li says:

That baptist fan. It really does the trick, doesn’t it? Timeless. Beautiful finish.

12. Rochelle Summers says:

A lovely finish for an antique quilt. It is amazing how much dust and grim accumulate over the years….not just on quilts, but stash fabric, clothes, shoes, etc.

13. Sue Ahern says:

Looks amazing, great job hand quilting.

14. Bambi Pearson says:

It turned out really beautiful. Thanks to your blog about where you got the stencil, Barb got my business too.

Oh, I just *love* your sweet churn dash quilt. You put a lot of effort into this project and it SHOWS!

16. audrey says:

Absolutely stunning! I’ve often wish I had the patience to make a two color quilt, but now I’m getting inspired by your method.:)

17. dezertsuz says:

What a difference! I’m buying the double one so I can have lines 1″ apart. =) That is a beautiful quilt. You have a keeper husband!

18. “Wow! What a difference!” is right! It’s so beautiful now. What a special project.

19. It turned out great. Well done! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.