Cactus Quilt Part 3

I got up this morning thinking about how to create the setting sun for the cactus quilt. I decided to draft a rough paper foundation and then improv it.

The next step was to add the semi circle. I pieced it in. It isn’t perfect, but good enough.

I puzzled it together with the background. I may add a strip of background to the top and I need to decide on the ground. These are my three options at this point.

I am loving using my hand dyed fabrics in this! Hopefully I can get the top done today.

Have a good one!

11 Responses to Cactus Quilt Part 3

1. The first one is good because the sun is setting, and the ground is getting dark. BUT, the second one is good because the sun is setting and reflecting light onto the ground. I’m no help, am I?

2. Patti P says:

very cool!

3. It’s beautiful. You have done a great job. Can’t wait to see it quilted.

The different size and colors of the spikes of the sun are perfect! If I had to choose the earth color, I would choose the second as it compliments the background fabric. This quilt is really, really cute!

I’m really enjoying watching the process of making this quilt. It’s darling. I like option 2. Hugs,

6. Cin says:

The middle one looks more like the sand of a desert. Cindy

Sent from my iPhone

7. Karen says:

I love it! this piece really has good color in it

8. This is really fun, Katy. I’m enjoying seeing you work through this, and that improv sun is probably my favorite part! I think I like the first one too. I have some hand-dyed fabric that I haven’t worked with yet, because I need to set some of the colors first. I haven’t done that before, so I’m dragging my feet a bit. Will be fun to see you finish this!

9. Kathy D. says:

This is going to be gorgeous! I agree with Diane, the first option for the ground fabric caught my eye, too.

10. Therese says:

I LOVE IT. The design is delightful!

11. Diane in AZ says:

I like the first option. Ground getting dark but still has a sparkle from “sand.”