DWMonday ~ Shirting Quilt

Here s the first of three quilts I am making from men’s shirts. My first thought was to randomly piece and place these into a fence rail setting.

But it bothered me. So I started making things a bit more orderly and ended up with this.

The color is more accurate in the first photo.

These quilts will be smaller than I would like, each about 50 by 60, but size is dictated by the amount of shirts I had to work with. I could add a border yet. I’ll move onto piecing the next one and think about that.

Linking up with Doll Quilts and Small Quilts , Love Laugh Quilt , Cooking Up Quilts

15 Responses to DWMonday ~ Shirting Quilt

1. Mary C says:

Love the more organized version

2. I love random scrap quilts, but I have to agree that when you “organized” them a bit more I liked the setting better.

3. Its going to be so cozy

4. Kathy D. says:

I didn’t mind the random setting, but agree the organized one is more pleasing to the eye. What a labor of love!

5. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

I like the second layout. Not that there was anything wrong with the first one…it just didn’t pop.

I love that you are making these! I like your second choice also. Hugs,

7. Susan says:

Love the more orderly layout – looks wonderful!

8. Diane in AZ says:

Love the organized one….I would add borders so your sisters have enough room to feel wrapped in a hug from your dad. It seems like I would always want my 50 x 60 wraps just a little bit bigger. You are doing a great job!

9. I like the orderly one too! With some interesting pattern changes w/in the same color. Good idea to lay it all out before you sew to make sure it works!

I have to agree. I like the second (organized) one the best!

11. Debra Gutenson says:

Love the more organized layout! Do you have any tips for sewing with shirting? I added some of my husbands shirts to a quilt for my granddaughter. Even only using 100% cotton shirts, it wasn’t at all like quilting cotton. It was much “slipperier,” if there’s such a word! I suppose there are chemical treatments for no iron shirts, etc. wondering if you’ve found a way to tame the fabric.

12. davemelvanolan says:

The more organized is much more appealing to me. Have a good week.

13. Beth says:

Love this quilt!

14. Bonnie in Va says:

oooh… nice quilt. You’ve done a great job with them. Are these shirts you’ve bought? Or been given or are you raiding closets in the house?

15. Yep, the second one looks better. There’s no place for your eye to rest in the first one, so it’s not as restful. I like it.