DWMonday ~ Shirting Quilt

Here s the first of three quilts I am making from men’s shirts. My first thought was to randomly piece and place these into a fence rail setting.

But it bothered me. So I started making things a bit more orderly and ended up with this.

The color is more accurate in the first photo.

These quilts will be smaller than I would like, each about 50 by 60, but size is dictated by the amount of shirts I had to work with. I could add a border yet. I’ll move onto piecing the next one and think about that.

Linking up with Doll Quilts and Small Quilts , Love Laugh Quilt , Cooking Up Quilts

15 Responses to DWMonday ~ Shirting Quilt

1. Yep, the second one looks better. There’s no place for your eye to rest in the first one, so it’s not as restful. I like it.

2. Bonnie in Va says:

oooh… nice quilt. You’ve done a great job with them. Are these shirts you’ve bought? Or been given or are you raiding closets in the house?

3. Beth says:

Love this quilt!

4. davemelvanolan says:

The more organized is much more appealing to me. Have a good week.

5. Debra Gutenson says:

Love the more organized layout! Do you have any tips for sewing with shirting? I added some of my husbands shirts to a quilt for my granddaughter. Even only using 100% cotton shirts, it wasn’t at all like quilting cotton. It was much “slipperier,” if there’s such a word! I suppose there are chemical treatments for no iron shirts, etc. wondering if you’ve found a way to tame the fabric.

I have to agree. I like the second (organized) one the best!

7. I like the orderly one too! With some interesting pattern changes w/in the same color. Good idea to lay it all out before you sew to make sure it works!

8. Diane in AZ says:

Love the organized one….I would add borders so your sisters have enough room to feel wrapped in a hug from your dad. It seems like I would always want my 50 x 60 wraps just a little bit bigger. You are doing a great job!

9. Susan says:

Love the more orderly layout – looks wonderful!

I love that you are making these! I like your second choice also. Hugs,

11. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

I like the second layout. Not that there was anything wrong with the first one…it just didn’t pop.

12. Kathy D. says:

I didn’t mind the random setting, but agree the organized one is more pleasing to the eye. What a labor of love!

13. Its going to be so cozy

14. I love random scrap quilts, but I have to agree that when you “organized” them a bit more I liked the setting better.

15. Mary C says:

Love the more organized version