Another Shirting Quilt

I started making blocks for the second quilt. I’m randomly piecing these. Here is one block.

These finish at 9 by 12 inches and they go together very quickly. The squares are cut 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches and the rectangles are 3 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches. Here are 20 put together.

Daughter #1 posted these two pictures of my dad yesterday. The first is with Big E, the second with Little E a few years later. He sure loved his little guys! You can see how the cancer was taking it’s toll. I was piecing together bits from both of these shirts when she posted these.

I hope to finish this top today. Then I’ll move onto the tumbler top since I still haven’t decided on borders.

9 Responses to Another Shirting Quilt

1. Kathy D. says:

Another wonderful labor of love! Bittersweet to see photos of your dad wearing two of the shirts you are putting into these quilts. The quilts you’re piecing this week will be greatly treasured.

2. I agree that it’s bittersweet to see the photos of your dad, but such a neat remembrance of him with these quilts. I’m sure he’d be delighted that you are doing this for your family members!

3. Quiltmouse says:

Your shirt quilts will not only be special for the family, but what a great way for you to remember as you are creating them. Marvelous that you have pictures with the shirts – great connection

4. Sue B says:

What a wonderful memory gift you are making for your family. I’m sure they will cherish then.

You can see the joy on your dad’s face as he holds his great-grandbabies. He had such a wonderful smile…from the heart.

6. Susan says:

This is another beauty – you’re making great use of those shirting fabrics!

7. That looks really good. How special that you have pics of him wearing those very shirts.

8. These quilts you are making from you dad’s shirts are so special. I wish I would have done that.

9. Susan says:

That’s definitely serendipity. I like this block plan a lot, thanks for posting it.