Finish It Up Friday ~ Stairway to Heaven

I finished this quilt, made from my dad’s shirts in time to give it to my mom for Christmas.

I was a little surprised to realize most of his shirts were darker colors. Then my sister reminded that it was because he had a tendency to get food stains on his shirts. We had a good laugh about that!

I used a panto from Urban Elementz called Ground Cover. I love the texture!

So many memories here. He wore the olive green shirt when we took our trip to Arizona together.

It was terribly difficult to cut into his shirts. But I’m glad I did. I made this from the sleeves of his shirts. I told Mom that I hoped when she wrapped up in it that she would feel his arms around her.

Have a great day.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts , Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Busy Hands Quilts , Anja Quilts

This post contains affiliate links.

This entry was posted in Finishes, Life, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Stairway to Heaven

1. Pingback: What to Do with Your Late Loved One’s Clothes ¶ Claire Middleton

2. Jannette B. says:

What a beautiful and very special quilt! I’m sure that you were blessed making it, and your mom was blessed receiving it.

3. It’s beautiful. That’s a great quilting pattern.

4. Therese says:

Lovely…. your Mother will love it….

5. Val W says:

Tons of comfort and love in this quilt. What a special memento for your mother.

6. Sue Daurio says:

Beautiful quilt, beautiful memories, love is definitely sewn into the is quilt and is certain to be felt by all wrapped in it’s warmth. Thanks for sharing

7. Sandra B says:

What a wonderful memorial to your Dad! I cannot imagine how hard it was to cut into the first couple of shirts…. When my mom passed away in 2016, I never even thought about saving some of her clothes to make quilts for me and my siblings…. Hindsight is always 20-20 isn’t it? We have other things that we cherish, in her memory, but quilts would have been really special!
    Thanks so much for sharing this quilt!

I can’t say enough good things about this quilt. It’s simply fabulous, Katy!

9. Amy says:

Katy, I just love this quilt. You have done an amazing job. The pattern and quilting are just perfect. I think you should make one for yourself too…there’s nothing better than to feel our father’s arms around us.

10. Patricia Ludwiczak says:

What a beautiful way to honor your dad and help your mother keep him with her always.

11. Lynette says:

Oh, this just made me cry and smile. I know how hard it is to work on loved ones’ things when they’ve gone ahead of us, but it’s also so poignant and keeps them right there by our side while we’re working. Your mom must be so very touched by this.

12. Dar in MO says:

That is a wonderful gift for your mother. I love the pattern that you chose for the layout and the quilting looks great too. I am amazed that you got such a big quilt from just using the sleeves. Does that mean you have more shirt goodness waiting for another quilt?

13. I am working on a project with mom and Dads clothes. I agree, it was really hard cutting into them. Love the quilt. I am sure it is extra warm due to all the love that is in it.

14. Rochelle Summers says:

I think it must have been therapeutic for you to work on this quilt. The memories they brought to mind, the chance to “visit” with your Dad as you sewed, must have felt bittersweet. A job well done.

15. Eileen says:

This is a beautiful QUILT, what better way to remember your dad…..just wonderful !

16. I’m sure your mother will treasure this and it will help in the healing process. Thanks for sharing such a personal quilt.

17. Janet O. says:

It is wonderful, Katy. And I love that you made it from the sleeves so she could feel his hugs!

18. I love the quilt and sentiment of wrapping arms around your mom. I have my dad’s workout leather jacket as a keepsake and don’t have a plan yet. The zipper is shot and not worth repairing, so I want to use it in a new way for me to remember Dad.

19. This post makes me both smile and cry (a bit), knowing the emotions for you that went into the making of this lovely quilt. What a thoughtful thing to do for your mom. I’m sure your dad would be so very proud of you, and delighted that you are caring for your mom in this way. This quilt will be a treasure for years to come, Katy!

20. Linda Mincher says:

Your quilt is gorgeous. I made two from my dad’s shirts a couple of years ago and gave them to my sisters for Christmas the year he passed. Those first cuts are so hard, but there are also such warm feelings when piecing them back together. I’m sure your mom loves it.

21. So beautiful on many levels….

It’s beautiful and full of wonderful memories! It was a wonderful gift. Hugs,

23. Cocoa Quilts says:

What a loving gift! I would have loved one from my Dad’s shirts. I am sure your mom was thrilled and uses this everyday.

24. Kathy D says:

What a lovely special gift for your mom! I’m sure your mom just loved it. Inquiring minds are wondering about your plans for the shirt fronts and backs…perhaps pillows for family members?

25. I love the sentiment in this quilt. Your Mom is sure to feel the loving spirit of your Dad. This is a beautiful gift Katy.

26. Sherrill says:

What a sweet treasure for your mom. Know she’ll treasure it until she can join him.

27. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    Love, love, LOVE this quilt. I remember crying when you first cut the squares. I just KNOW that your mom loves this. How can she not feel your love and his love when she cuddles under this. Such a wonderful daughter you are. ~smile~ Roseanne

28. blackeyedsewsan says:

I wasn’t quilting when my Dad died at 50-obviously suddenly in Greece. His shirts all went to Goodwill & he had a few really unusual ones; my brother saw 1 of his unusual shirts ‘walking’ down the street in Norfolk & he said he literally had to stop & regroup. How nice you were able to do this for your mom & have enough colors for balance. Love the panto. With the fierce winter we all are having, the quilt will be a blessing in more than 1 way. Sleeves? Have always heard shirt backs? Just wondering in frozen Boston 🙂 Happy New Year Katy, Susan

29. Luann says:

I’m sure that your Mom can feel his arms around her and your love of her.