2017 Hand Quilted Quilts

At the beginning of each year, I enjoy taking a look back at the quilts I have finished the year before. I’ve sorted them out into categories and will share these posts here and there during the month of January.

I decided that 2017 would be the year that I finally hand quilted this antique top that I purchased a number of years ago in a local thrift shop. In the process, I fell in love with hand quilting all over again.

I’m not very good at it. But I found that with lots of close quilting in al overall pattern, I could make up in quantity what I lacked in quality! Before I finished this top, I began looking for another to quilt, then another, and another….. I stuck to hand quilting vintage tops. Here are the others I finished this year.

Carpal tunnel is slowing me down, but I hope to do a couple more vintage tops this year.

This entry was posted in Finishes, Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to 2017 Hand Quilted Quilts

1. Sandra B says:

Katy, I love this blog post! As a hand quilter myself, I appreciate all the work that goes into hand quilting…these are all wonderful!! I keep saying that I am going to start machine quilting so that I can complete more quilts, but I just can’t make myself do it….I guess I am addicted to hand quilting….
    Thanks for sharing these beautiful quilts!!

2. katyquilts says:

Thank you! I’d forgotten what great therapy it can be. I certainly needed it! I am glad to know you are enjoying my blog and have decided to follow along!

Take care, Katy

Sent from my iPad

3. Wow! That is a lot of hand quilting for one year. I am always proud of someone for saving a vintage or antique quilt. I love all of these! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2018.

4. Pat in WNY says:

Gorgeous, each and every one of them! Sadly I didn’t complete any of my hand quilting projects last year, but this year – hopefully! Carpal tunnel issues going on here to, though it seems to hurt more when I’m machine quilting.

5. Rochelle Summers says:

There is something about hand quilting that makes those vintage quilts look cuddly. I’m not a hand quilter so if I do something, it is very small. It is wonderful to see these quilts brought to life with so much love.

6. Sharon says:

I remember all of your hand quilted quilts but seeing them all together is amazing, especially since they were all quilted within the same year. I love hand quilting but usually stick to mini quilts which I can do without a hoop. I would love to be able to hand quilt a large quilt but have problems with using a hoop. My stitches don’t show up too well on the back. Any tips besides practicing?

They’re simply fabulous, Katy, but please pace yourself when it comes to handwork. I have carpal tunnel and it’s no fun! Mine traveled UP my arm and involved my shoulder area as well.

Each one is a treasure! They are all beautiful. Hugs,

9. I love them all, Katy, especially the last one with the orange/melon color! I didn’t realize you had hand quilted so many this year!

10. Tracie Henkel says:

Your hand quilting looks great. I’m impressed at how much you accomplished!

11. Lois Stimax says:

I was just wondering where you have found so many vintage tops?! Do you use muslin for the back? You are so productive!! You amaze me all the time!

12. Amy says:

Katy, they are gorgeous! Do you use a template for your baptist fan pattern?…they look perfect!

13. Roxanne says:

P.S. I was thinking about your French General granny squares all day yesterday. Quilt love.

14. Roxanne says:

Since I’m a new follower I will especially enjoy the “looking back” at things I didn’t see before! Love your hand quilting on these vintage tops—you’ve really brought them back to life. Wonderful!