Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Stars

It’s done! I’m so pleased with this. It is my third hand quilted finish this year. If you recall, I purchased this top at an antique fair in May.

It was a perfect stress reliever project to drag around the country, sitting in hospitals, caring for ill loved ones, traveling to funerals. This quilt has kept me company through it all.

I kept the quilting simple so I didn’t have to mark anything. It is pretty wonky, but I’m okay with that. We’ve become old friends, comfortable with each other’s flaws.

The stars were all hand pieced and they were put together with the sashing by machine. This leads me to believe that I am the third person to work on this. What joys and sorrows might they have experienced during their stint?

As soon as I put the last stitch into the binding, I took a nap under this quilt. It was peaceful sleep indeed.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Linking up with Busy Hands QuiltsCrazy Mom QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric AddictCeltic Thistle Stitches

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Stars

1. Ariane says:

What a beautiful quilt! Your quilting is wonderful!!

2. Congratulations on being the quilter who finally finished this project, and what a finish it is!
    Thanks for linking up to TGIFF too

3. Julierose says:

Great job on the quilting–love how it came out hugs, Julierose

4. Beautiful quilt and quilting. I am so glad you ‘saved’ it in such a lovely way. I know you will treasure it.

5. Barb Vedder says:

lovely quilt! One of my favorite blocks

6. blackeyedsewsan says:

I think ‘wonky’ is perfect for a vintage quilt! Looks terrific….inspiration for what’s on my 3rd floor!

7. rl2b2017 says:

Katy,
    It is a beautiful finish. You gave it a full life, rather than sitting around waiting to be noticed and worked on it now will enjoy being used and loved. I’m glad it gave you comfort and peace – those are truly great gifts. ~smile~ Roseanne

8. Therese says:

Beautiful…… you won’t want to,part with this one…….its special!!!!

9. A nice finish, Katy. I agree that this quilt is a keeper, with so many memories. It would be interesting to hear the story behind the quilt before it came into your hands!

You did a fantastic job on this quilt! I love everything about it. Hugs,

11. anudge says:

Katy said: “We’ve become old friends, comfortable with each other’s flaws.” One of the nice things about quilt. This quilt was waiting just for you to be a comfort to you. Beautiful finish.

12. What a great finish. Antique quilts fascinate me. I always wonder who worked on them, what their lives held in that moment, etc.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words 🙂

13. smilesfromkate says:

I love a quilt with a story and this is a good one. Your hand quilting is perfect for it, wonkiness and all, it adds something machine quilting can’t compete with, no mater how wonderful. Congratulations on your beautiful finish.

14. Val W says:

If that quilt could talk, what a history it might tell. It turned out lovely.

15. It is stunning!! and all that beatuiful hand quilting – wow!!

You did a fantastic job, Katy. You two have been through a lot together. It’s lovely and a keeper, for sure.

17. Beautiful. I am so glad it brought you comfort and joy.
    I bet the person that pieced it would be proud and
    happy to see it complete.

18. This is such a lovely quilt! How wonderful to bring it to completion.

19. Audrey says:

Such a lovely, lovely quilt! It has a real charm of its own! The hand stitching just makes it more lovable in my opinion. Great finish!

20. Sandra B says:

Katy, this is a beautiful quilt…..love how you finished it up with hand quilting. As you may recall, I am a hand piecer and hand quilter, and I love how this quilt has such simple components, all working together to result in a real beauty!! I can just see this one used on a cold winter afternoon, a fire in the fireplace, snuggled with a good book, and a cup of hot tea! So glad you saved this one from just sitting around, unfinished! As always, thanks for sharing!!

21. 3rd hand quilted this year? WOW! I am having trouble just getting a quilt of any kind finished this year! 😀 This quilt is wonderful and so comfy, homey looking. I am glad you rescued it from the land of UFO.

22. Sharon says:

Your quilt looks wonderful! I’m so glad you decided to hand quilt it since it was all hand pieced. The original quilter would have been so proud and now you have given this quilt top a meaningful life.

23. Good for you; it’s beautiful. And so nicely quilted! I always have my quilts machine quilted because I don’t enjoy hand quilting, and rather than taking the time to do what you’ve done, I would rush through it and not quilt it nearly enough, try to get away with less rather than more, which would be such a shame. You’ve done it just right! I know it’s so soft!

24. Cathy Tomm says:

Wow 3rd one hand quilted this year. Love how soft it looks.

25. PattiP says:

I really love this quit & the purpose it has in your life

26. What a beautiful quilt. Not only does it look vintage, it IS vintage! lol You certainly did it justice with your lovely hand quilting.

27. Karen Berrisford says:

It’s beautiful. Hand quilting is so relaxing, and how special to do it on a vintage quilt top.