Vintage Scrap Project

I got a bit sidetracked during my sorting yesterday. I found this small bin of vintage scraps and started digging through it.

I fount these little rectangles and set them aside. I think they’d make a nice little Chinese Coins mini.

I also found these rather tatty 4 patches. Hmmm…..

I decided to trim them down to 3 inches. I used my die cutter to do this.

I didn’t try to center them, although I could have easily done that if I had marked my die before hand.

As you can see here, they were a bit wonky to begin with anyway.

Once they were trimmed, I laid them out and arranged them.

I quickly quilted a crosshatch with my Singer  301. I found a bit of leftover binding that fit perfectly.

Not done yet….I wanted to try to clean it up a bit. So I got this out. I ordered this online somewhere ages ago. Google it if you are interested. I don’t remember where I bought it.

I mixed a few scoops into some warm water and left it to soak while I ran errands.

After soaking and rinsing,  I dried it in the dryer.

And…..ta daaa!

The stains are much better, though not completely gone. Here is the back.

One word of caution, test your fabrics before using this product! I didn’t because the whole thing was an experiment. The vintage fabrics were fine. However, check out this next photo to see how the contemporary blue binding fabric changed color.

Just for fun, here is the before and after side by side.

That was a fun little diversion!

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Uncategorized, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Vintage Scrap Project

1. Deb says:

It is good to know that Restoration will fade some fabrics!! I have a few vintage pieces that are a little dirty. Maybe I will soak and then just wash by hand,line dry, the pieces before putting them into a quilt. Lovely little quilt.

2. dezertsuz says:

I love little diversions like that. It’s amazing that the old dyes held so well and the new one didn’t!

3. Cathy says:

Love your little quilt. Hugs

4. What a fun little diversion while you’ve been organizing! I love little stop offs like that. So satisfying! Interesting to see how Restoration worked on the fabrics! Thanks for sharing!

5. Linda B says:

Thanks for sharing this fun project and the tip about Restoration. I wonder if using an aluminum pan might have skewed your results with the blue? I think a glass or plexiglass container might have been safer? Regardless, a lovely little reclaimed object. Good for you!

Cute little quilt. Thanks for the info on the stuff to clean the fabric with. Hugs,

7. anudge says:

Turned out darling. I like the color the binding faded to – matches some of the fabric. I had a little diversion Monday that I’ll show Friday. Thanks for sharing, Katy.

8. Nancy Marie Davis says:

I like the colour change in the binding after the soak.

9. Therese says:

Interesting tip, using the mugs to keep it down.

10. Shasta says:

Lovely project. It is a good thing you had purple in the quilt, since the binding matches a different block than before.

11. Yep, you just needed a little reward for your good behavior…and you got it! Cute project.

12. Janice Spencer says:

Your experiment is so cute. I’m always bringing little orphan pieces home. Have a question…two of us have been unable to find walking or even feed feet that really fit our 301 machines. Can you give us a recommendation?