More Scrap Management

I’m still working through scraps. I will be at this for some time. I tackled my 30s reproduction scraps. When I do this, I go through the bin, ironing each piece. I sort into piles by size like this.

My smallest scraps could be cut to 2 inch squares. Since I don’t have a ton of these, I decided to cut them all up into 2 inch squares using this die.

I also had scraps of 30s solids that I cut into 2 inch squares as well. I’ve decided to make four patches from these. I will need to cut more solids, but this will get me started.

I also decided to tackle this bin of binding scraps and another just like it.

I ironed each piece and thought I would make one bin of strings/strips. My OCD wouldn’t allow me to put them all together. So my two bins ended up being three bins, Civil War, brights, and neutrals. I have two more huge containers of leftover binding strips to go through.

I put my random fat quarters into these bins. Of course, I remembered I have a whole other basket full somewhere else.

I still need to deal with this. That is a vintage baby bath tub full of Civil War Scaps!

And I have these two big buckets.

I have a very long way to go. But it sure will be nice when I am done!

Linking up with Love Laugh QuiltSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsCooking Up Quilts

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to More Scrap Management

1. Love your very classy containers! You’re making very impressive progress; much better, I dare say, than most people who actually save and use scraps. Though I use my scraps, I can’t imagine EVER getting to where I can feel like there’s control of or system to my scraps. In fact, the more I use, the more they seem to multiply.

2. Nice strategy for scrap management! That accuquilt is an amazing way to cut fabric quickly…maybe I need to save up for one!?

3. Nice job. I am so scattered when it comes to quilt making that none of my scraps ‘match’. I make all colors, depending on what fabrics I get on sale. I love your 30s fabrics.

4. Kathy D says:

You’ve made marvelous headway at getting a handle on your scraps; I’m sure it’ll feel great when you finally finish this job!

5. Val W says:

I am amazed – by both your quantity of scraps and how well you organize them.

6. What fun scraps…what project are you going to start to reward yourself for such virtuous behavior?

7. JennyM says:

It is interesting to see how you tackle your containers of scraps. Will you leave the larger 30’s pieces as they are or will those also be run through the accuquilt? I’m just beginning to get dies and I am trying to determine which ones to start with other than the strips. Thanks for sharing your process.

8. I love your containers, and I think of you every time I see enamelware! I think I’d like to come and play in your scraps!

9. Sharon says:

Wow! You have a ton of beautiful scraps! And you are so organized and self disciplined too! I would love to shop your scrap bins!

10. Bonnie in Va says:

Cutting scraps is one of the most boring jobs to me. I may need to invest in a couple of square dies. Now I cut squares mostly based on Bonnie Hunter’s system. And I’m now cutting for a specific pattern I want to make it 1.5″ squares. Love the enamel ware use. Hum a baby bath… so different from what is available now. Enjoy the process.

11. Debbie Huber says:

Wuh! as my Grandsons will say. Impressive to be so organized. Only in my dreams.

12. Alison says:

Isn’t it amazing how much the scraps seem to shrink when you’re able to iron and sort them? I have a whole bag that I call my “Bag of Shame” that keeps lots of small pieces or orphaned blocks that I use to test my FMQ tension.

13. Rochelle Summers says:

I am living vicariously through your sorting I need to do the same but I don’t have it in me just yet. They are driving me crazy with guilt!

I want to be you when I grow up! LOL! I have many of those same reproduction 30’s scraps. Thanks for the inspiration to get them ironed and die cut.

15. anudge says:

I’m trying another way to deal with my scraps. I have bags with scraps from previous projects. I take a bag now and then and pull out scraps and start making a quilt blocks from whatever comes out of that bag. This way I use up the scraps and have a quilt finished from it. Your way is great – I’m just too anxious for a finish to do it that way, and I don’t know why? Maybe because the cutting is my least favorite part of the process. You’re always putting out so many fabulous quilts.

16. Therese Penders says:

Don’t have as many as you, so I feel there is hope for my MESS! Lol

17. THat looks so great!! so you know Colorado has some great jeeping trails – You can come jeep here….. and stay with me…. and….. organize my scraps in the evening!! Ha! a great plan if I do say so!!!!

18. dezertsuz says:

What treasures of fabric you’ve organized. I’m impressed! I know it was hours of time.