Slow Unstitching?

I’ve been working on cleaning and reorganizing my sewing room. It is a huge job. In the process, I came across this small top that I had started hand quilting a few years ago. I never got very far. I remembered feeling very frustrated with this. Looks like I was trying to hand quilt through a batting with scrim.

So I have taken it apart and I’m back to this. I hope to get it basted again today with some different batting and then I’ll start over on the quilting.

But first, I’ll be finishing the binding on this.

Hope you enjoy some slow stitching today!

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

This entry was posted in Hand quilting, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Slow Unstitching?

1. Kathi says:

Hope the unpicking goes faster than expected so you can get to the designing… thanks for sharing such a lovely quilt too… have fun dreaming up a new design you can hand quilt! Kathi

2. Unpicking is no fun, but the new finish to that quilt will be fun. It’s too pretty not to finish. Looking forward to seeing the binding all done on the other quilt!

3. Sandra Croley says:

lol…I am unpicking today also! As for batting, if you can give wool batting a try, go for it! It’s like quilting through butter!!!

4. Gail says:

I did some unseeing this week too. It took forever but I’m much happier with the quilting now. I’m also working on some binding today…we are quilting twins this week!

5. Gail says:

Unsewing. Silly auto-correct!

6. Louise says:

That quilt will be a success story, really like it. I am on the same path as yourself in the sewing room this week, no make that this month. 43 years worth is going to be slow going for sure.
    Luck to both of us!

7. CathieJ says:

I like that you have decided to go back to that pretty quilt. I never realized that scrim could be a problem with quilting.

8. Andrea H says:

As frustrating as it can be at times to unpick something, you’ve made a great decision. I look forward to seeing how you decide to quilt this. Happy sewing! –Andrea

9. Oh yes… the batting can make a big difference to the enjoyment of hand quilting!
    Hopefully you had some fun stitching today!

10. anudge says:

Funny, that’s what I was doing while I was watching Foyle’s War – slow unstitching.

11. Love your blue and White quilt. It deserves to be finished!