Hospice Quilts

When my dad was in hospice care, he was presented with this quilt.

It is beautiful! And I found it to be such a clever use of leftovers.

Little E liked it too!

The black really unifies all of these random bits and castoff blocks.

Even the floral backing could not prevent it from looking quite masculine. There wasn’t any label, I wish there had been so that I could thank whoever was responsble for this. He used it a lot and now my mom is taking comfort from it as well.

I sent a quilt to my dad as well. It was one of my favorites that I have ever made. He was using it when he went to Jesus, and now it is back home with me.

I brought home two bags of shirts, one from my dad and one from Mr. Wonderful’s dad. Someday I will make them into quilts , but not just yet.

Have a wonderful day.

11 Responses to Hospice Quilts

1. Ariane says:

These are both beautiful quilts. They will always have special meaning for you. It’s a special gift that your Dad was able to have these quilts to comfort him in his last days. Now they will comfort you and your family when you think of him. That scrappy snowball quilt is a beautiful design. Thanks for sharing it with us!

2. Laura Reavis says:

Sending you (((hugs))) My Dad died 10 years ago and I still haven’t been able to make quilts from his shirts. Soon though, I think… It is good to know your Dad had not one, but two, love filled quilts! I didn’t learn to make quilts until after my Dad died. I always wish he was here so I could make him a quilt now! I think I would use some of Moda’s Flight fabric. He would have liked that!

3. Therese says:

Do make sure you share them with us when done……

4. Beautiful treasures. My father passed in August last year, under the first quilt I made for him after I started quilting. It didn’t have my longarm yet so it was all hand quilter. Took me two years to finish it and he was so proud of it. It is hanging on a quilt ladder in the hallway to my bedroom where I see it every day. ❤️

5. Don’t rush, Katy. You’ll know when it’s time to make the quilt(s). Both of the finished quilts are lovely.

6. Andrea H says:

Those quilts are quite wonderful. I made a quilt for my grandmother when she was on hospice. She literally clutched and clung to it the last two weeks of her life. The family asked if it could be buried with her, and I agreed. Beautiful memories for a difficult time for our family. Sorry for your family’s loss.

Both quilts are wonderful! Hugs,

8. Rochelle Summers says:

Thank you for such a sensitive blog. Both quilts are lovely and the idea of using scraps in that way is wonderful. I’m glad you have shirts from each dad because someday you will want to work on them and they will bring smiles and wonderful memories.

9. Jan Smith says:

The snowball is so creative, and special. Perhaps the Hospice group would be able to contact the generous quilter for you?
    My dad died last August, so I feel for you. But to lose both your dad, and your husband’s is quite a blow, I’m sure.

10. They are both so beautiful and what a wonderful memory to have.

11. Thanks for sharing your cherished memory quilts. I know when you are ready to cut the shirts you will create a lasting memory of two wonderful men in your life. Hugs.