Finish It Up Friday ~ My Vintage Top

The weather here has not been conducive to taking pictures of quilts, but I managed a few so I can finally share with you my finished vintage quilt top!

The top is not perfectly square and straight, but I was loathe to trim it to square it up. I am so pleased with the texture the Baptist Fans gave to this top!

I used some vintage fabric from my stash to bind this quilt. If anyone knows the name of this block pattern, I’d love to know!

And a simple bleached muslin  for the back.

I loved finishing this top! I do wonder about the woman that made it. I hope she would be pleased with my efforts to finish her masterpiece.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom QuiltsBusy Hands QuiltsThe Carpenter’s Daughter Who Quilts

26 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ My Vintage Top

1. Julierose says:

Such a lovely finish –this is a beautiful quilt–love the Baptist fan quilting, too hugs, Julierose

2. Bronwyn Miller says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. And the binding fabric is just perfect. Bronwyn

3. Kathi says:

I just love this finish! I recently used hand quilted baptist fans for the first time in a baby quilt and was so careful to be precise with them … I am glad you had fun with yours instead.. they are much more fun to be circular in their layout than row by row… when you blogged that you marked them before you hand quilted the quilt… I wondered how… but you have a Bonnie Hunter style here and I LOVE IT! Hope I can be more fun next time I do baptist fans… Wonderful finish and thanks for sharing it here!!! ❤ Kathi

4. Ariane says:

This quilt is gorgeous!! Congrats on finishing it!!!

5. Sharon says:

Another beautiful finish Katy! It really does look vintage.

6. Pat in WNY says:

A gorgeous finish! You achieved a beautiful texture with the Baptist Fan quilting. I love a plain muslin back on a vintage quilt, it shows off the hand quilting so wonderfully. I don’t think many of our ancestors worried too much about squaring up and trimming off any of their hand-stitched work after they completed the quilting. Our modern obsession with perfection in quilting is highly overrated it seems to me.

7. I think the maker would be thrilled to see her quilt finished in such a delightful way. It is beautiful! I think she might have chosen the Baptist Fan as well. Thanks for saving this one and making it beautiful!

8. Kathy D says:

Lovely finish to this one, Katy. I think the person who pieced the top would be quite pleased with the result. Love the texture the quilting gives it!

9. Ramona says:

Gorgeous finish! It’s wonderful to find these treasures and then add your touch to them. I love the Baptist fans, too.

10. Zenda says:

I know the lady who pieced this would love how you have finished this beautiful quilt. This one is a real treasure!

11. Luann says:

Katy,
    I love the texture that you got on the back after washing. Do you precast any of your fabrics before using them? I’ve been thinking about ordering in a bolt of wide, 108″, bleached muslin from Dharma to use for backings, and I am a bit concerned about the shrinkage if I didn’t prewash it. But, I hate washing a huge piece of cloth and wrestling it across the ironing board, lol. Your thoughts are always appreciated.
    Your quilt turned out lovely.

12. Lynn White says:

It looks wonderful. Having recently used machine quilting in a Baptist fan pattern I’m in awe of you doing it by hand! Great job and lovely finish.

13. It turned out fantastci!

14. Val W says:

Wow, that looks fantastic. Your choice of the Baptist fan quilting makes this look like an antique already.

15. Paula says:

This quilt looks great! You’ve inspired me to get out my vintage Dresden plate top and hand-quilt it. I inherited it years ago and haven’t done anything with it. I’m amazed at how quickly you were able to get it done, it will take me years! Enjoy your quilt!

16. Oh, Katy! I love this! The green is so pretty, and sets off the blocks so well. The baptist fans are just the right pattern too. Just so much prettiness!

It’s gorgeous! I love the colors and the quilting looks wonderful. Hugs,

18. Jan Smith says:

Wonderful! So pleased that you hand quilted this lovely top, and fans are perfect! Wow, you did that so quickly, too!

I’m certain the woman who pieced it would be thrilled with the outcome. Another great job, Katy.

20. Clara says:

So lovely! It’s such an interesting variation on a churndash block. I, too, wonder what the actual name of the block is. Would you consider giving the cutting dimensions for your block?

21. Sandra B says:

Beautiful finish, Katy! Love the Baptist Fan quilting…it is perfect for this quilt, as is the plain muslin backing….I like to use a plain backing with hand quilting….
    I have looked through my various quilt pattern reference books, and cannot find this particular block…I made a quilt a couple of years ago using a pattern that was similar, but I wasn’t able to find this exact one…. I really like it, though….
    Thanks, as always, for sharing!!

22. janicekholton says:

I have no doubt she would be pleased! I know I would. It looks amazing with that Baptist Fan pattern.

23. Isn’t the block something like Iron Cross? There ought to be a block dictionary somewhere, and maybe there is. Sometimes you see books called 1,000 blocks or something like that, but I’m not that person.

24. Please let us know if you find out what the block is called so we can all learn!

25. Your vintage quilt turned out so wonderful. The green is quite striking. I absolutely love the baptist fan quilting. I have Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Blocks having 4,000 block designs. The blocks appear to be from the Churn Dash, Monkey Wrench, Maltese Cross family. I do not see an exact block with that diagonal pieced cross though. Thanks for linking up your finish with this week’s TGIFF.