Making a Rope Bowl

Have you seen the rope bowls people have been making? I’ve wanted to try one for a while. I unexpectedly had a bit of extra time yesterday (yes, I went to the airport 12 hours early!) and thought I’d give it a try. I bought the rope for this a year ago!

I watched a few YouTube videos to get some ideas on how to do this. Starting is a bit tricky.

I also realized I had to stop and flip my piece over if I wanted to make a bowl instead of a mat. I also had to switch from my walking foot to my all purpose foot.

Getting the sides to turn was a bit tricky as well.

But I’m actually pretty happy with how it turned out! It is 11 inches across at the top, 7 inches wide at the bottom, and 7 inches tall. Honestly, I the size was determined by how much rope I had. I used all of it. It is just regular clothesline rope. Here is a look at the bottom.

And no, I have no earthly idea what I will use this for. But it was a fun little experiment!

This entry was posted in Crafty Things. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Making a Rope Bowl

1. Kathy D says:

I’ve wanted to do that for a while, too! Yours came out great – nice shape and size. Have also seen a dying technique for these bowls where you start with a more concentrated solution and gradually add more water, to get an ombre effect.

2. Well, you surely made it look easy! My friend Kathy was wrapping rope with tiny strips of fabric while we were in Lancaster to make some of these. Maybe, between the two of you I will get inspired to make one! I love the white instead of fabric wrapped. It is so classy looking!

3. piecefulwendy says:

I was just thinking about making one of these yesterday. I’m not going to tell you how long I’ve had the rope 🙂 Might be good to get that off my shelf! I can see you finding all kinds of fun uses for that lovely bowl. Fabric scraps, rolled up mini quilts, hmmm.

4. Sharon says:

Wow! You did an awesome job! That bowl came out so perfect. I intended to make one with fabric strips wrapped around the rope but I bought the wrong kind of rope – not cotton, and didn’t realize the mistake until years later when I finally decided to start it. You could use this classic bowl for so many things, fat quarters, scraps, thread spools…

5. Sharon says:

I meant to ask – did you need to use heavier thread?

6. Zenda says:

Your basket turned out great! I may have to give one of these a try. Can you share which videos you watched?

7. Cathy says:

I love your bowl. I made everyone a bowl for Christmas one year. I covered the rope with fabric. Hugs

8. Love the bowl. I noticed you are using a different machine. I too am jumping from machine to machine. Happy sewing.

I love it!! It turned out great, Katy. It will probably last forever! Let us know how you end up using it.

I love it. We made coasters in our guild and covered the rope with fabric but I like yours better. Hugs,

11. Kathleen says:

Very nice! I’ve admired these in other blogs but am afraid to give it a try. It seems it would be a lot of stress on the sewing machine.

12. Edwina Finet says:

Looks great. One more craft you have mastered (and made it look easy to boot).