WIP Wednesday ~ Scrappy Fence Rail!

I’ve been waiting a long time to get this quilt on the frame!

I knew when I started working on the top that I wanted to quilt this with Baptist Fans.

I’m using my pattern boards to quilt this. In case you don’t know, this is what they look like.

It’s a bit like using the laser light to follow a pantograph, but instead of a light, there is a stylus that fits in the grooves of the boards.  I have four of the fan boards and that was just enough to do this quilt.

This is where the stylus ended up when I got to the edge of the quilt! That was close! It is a bit tricky to line up each row since there are bits of stitching that should perfectly overlap. Close enough has to be good enough on these areas! Once it is washed, it shouldn’t be very noticeable. See what I mean?

Oh well, finished is better than perfect!

Linking up with Quilt Fabrication

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Civil War Repro Quilts, Long Arm Quilting, Longarm Quilting. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ Scrappy Fence Rail!

1. Suzy says:

This quilt is beautiful! Every time you post about it I want to pull out the scrap bin and make one, too.

2. Ariane says:

I love this pattern for quilting! This quilt is going to be beautiful!

3. Lois Stimax says:

Perfection is highly over rated! You are one of the most productive quilters I have ever seen, and showing us the places that aren’t perfect is a blessing! I love the quilt. Thanks!

4. Sandra Croley says:

Baptist fans are a perfect quilting choice for your quilt!

5. Luann says:

Katy,
    I love that you are honest about stuff. Showing it out to the world takes courage. I know you could have found a spot that met up perfectly, but your honesty and openness helps everyone to accept the outcome of our efforts, as they are! Thanks for being you. And say Hi to your wonderful family. We are going to Wisconsin in 2 weeks, I can hardly contain my excitement over being with all of my grandkids at one time. We rented a unit for a ‘big’ sleep over and it will be a blast.

6. Sharon says:

I really love the scrappiness of this quilt – such beautiful fabrics!

7. Susan says:

Fantastic quilt with a great choice for a quilting design! Who cares if it doesn’t line up? It will still be a well loved quilt! Thank you for sharing!

8. janicekholton says:

I’ll bet nobody even sees that. The overall look is great! I love Baptist Fans and they are perfect for this quilt. I would like to learn how to do them FMQ style. Is that even possible?

I agree, Katy. Finished IS better than perfect. 🙂

10. PattiP says:

gorgeous. I love Baptist & when I first saw the various paper pantos that do the non overlapping fans, I was not a fan. But I plan to do at 1 sometime because I now know the eye gets the same effect of the pattern.

11. Those are neat little boards! The Baptist Fan is perfect for that gorgeous quilt.