DWMonday ~ The Eagle

I finished the appliqué work on the eagle. It is fused with Heat and Bond Light and I topstitched the edges.

Here’s a closeup.

And the back.

Time to figure out what happens next. I definitely want to frame this.

I want to keep the eagle as the focus so maybe keeping things simple is the way to go. I do like this red stripe. I originally thought it would be the binding, but I think it could make a good border for the medallion.

But I only have a yard of it. Maybe large cornerstones?

Nope, not liking that. Back to the design wall!

Linking up with Patchwork TimesLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up Quilts

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday, Quilt of Valor, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to DWMonday ~ The Eagle

1. Val W says:

Do you worry about those edged of the applique fraying when it’s washed?

2. Ramona says:

The eagle is so striking. I agree with keeping that the focal point. I like the red and cream stripe as a border. What if you made nine patches for the corner stones using the flag fabric as the primary fabric?

3. piecefulwendy says:

Can you make the red/cream stripe work if you make the border a little narrower? It really works well with the medallion. I like it.

4. I like it! The eagle is definietly going to be the focus!

5. Gari says:

Love your eagle. I did him a couple of years ago as the back of one of my Auburn shirts, War Eagle. He has been washed several times so he has softly frayed edges and I consider that my favorite shirt. Mine is all blue but I really like your blue and red. I may just have to make him again.

6. Bonnie in Va says:

Yep, definitely like the stripes. Not so thrilled with the flags — it takes away from the strength and power of the eagle. Just my opinion and toss it out if you love the flags there. It’s going to be a wonderful quilt.

7. Janet O. says:

Very striking! I like it with the stripes around it. Do you have a navy blue with stars in it that you can try for the cornerstones? Or maybe piece a white star with a navy background? Do you have a pattern for piecing a 5-point star? Just thinking out loud, here.

8. Try a 1 inch border of either blue or red, then go from there! It will make the Eagle stand out. I try to do that to “stop” the middle and go on to the next segment. I like your Eagle!

9. Mary Redrick says:

I have a comment about a post you made some weeks back on the quilt made with hexagons–not EPP. Did you decide on borders. I’m making one similar and trying to decide what to do about borders. Did you make a top and bottom border to match the dotted hexagons on each side??? Thanks for reply if you have time.

10. Zenia Rene says:

Your eagle is fabulous! I like the red stripe as a border or the idea of the large cornerstones. =)

11. Kate says:

Lots of “WOW” factor with the eagle. I like that blue border, not sure what comes next, but it’s looking great.