Slow Stitching ~ Forgetting and Remembering

I’d forgotten how much I enjoy had quilting. It is the most wonderful stress reliever! Apparently it has been a stressful month because I’ve gotten a lot farther on this than I ever expected when I started it.

I have one whole side border and half of another one to go.

I think this picture shows better what I have left to do.

I’m really glad I decided to use this stencil from Barb at Fun with Barb. My hand quilting has not noticeably improved, but the texture from this design is amazing.

As I work on this, I’m also reminded of the biggest reason that I quit hand quilting. My fingers sometimes go numb and my wrist hurts. It doesn’t help that I binge quilt! This also happened:

That lovely callous means that the Touch ID on my phone is not working anymore!

Have a lovely day!

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

16 Responses to Slow Stitching ~ Forgetting and Remembering

1. Debra Gutenson says:

Beaitiful! I love hand quilting, too. How do you manage to keep your stitches the same size when you cross a seam allowance? Mine always end up huge.

2. Ariane says:

Your quilt is looking beautiful!! I’m loving it.

3. CathieJ says:

Wow, you are really moving along with that quilting. Your quilt looks so very beautiful.

4. piecefulwendy says:

I’m amazed at how quickly you are getting that hand quilted, Katy! Not being able to touch ID would drive me nuts. Haha. So spoiled with all this techie stuff. I really like that green fabric. The quilt is a beauty!

5. karenlogcabinquilter says:

I love the Baptist Fan style of quilting! Looks good.

6. Kathy S. says:

Your hand stitching has not improved? I think it is GORGEOUS already! Wow! You have made a lot of progress. Stitch that stress away! Wishing you a just as productive but less stressful times coming.

7. Sharon says:

Your quilt is looking wonderful! I love the look of hand quilting. Your stitches look good to me. What do you use to mark the fans? Do you just mark it as you go?

8. Laura says:

Love the texture! Your quilting makes the quilt!

Your hand quilting is wonderful, Katy. So sorry about your poor thumb!

Your quilt is gorgeous! Your hand quilting is wonderful and I love how the quilting shows up on the back. Hugs,

11. Barb Vedder says:

I love how you used the stencil to make such great free form fan placement. the texture is really fabulous!!

12. Jayne says:

I call thumbs that look like yours “ground beef” – and I know how sore they are! I really love your quilt and your quilting, It was nice to see you identify that you were in fact using a template. I have know people to do this fan-shaped design freehand! Can you imagine? I tried it on a little quilt; I don’t think I am brave enough to do it on a big one! Found you at the Slow Sunday party.

13. Shasta says:

Your quilting is gorgeous! I have to limit my handwork to about an hour a day to avoid getting carpel tunnel and other wrist problems. Quilting is not worth messing up my body over! Oh my, I hadn’t thought about the thumb id issue. Good to know.

14. Deb says:

That is a beautiful quilting design on a beautiful quilt.

15. daneesey says:

Your handquilting is just beautiful — it really makes the quilt! Very nicely done! 🙂

16. Nancy says:

I love everything about this quilt, Katy: the colors, the fabrics, the prints in the fabrics, and especially the Baptist Fan quilting — my absolute fabric quilting pattern to give a vintage look and great texture. Oh those callouses! I get them too. And the pain until they are really callouses instead of tender fingers. Have you ever used liquid bandage? It hurts like heck for a minute to put it on when/if it touches an open sore but it helps protect my fingers.