Finish It Up Friday ~ Doe Rectangles

I started this top a few weeks back and had it nearly done when I realized that it wasn’t going to be nearly as big as I wanted. This will be a graduation quilt for a tall young man.

Then I got my Christmas gift from Daughter #1 and #3. Included was another charm pack of this same fabric! That was enough to make the quilt the size that I wanted it to be. They sure know me well!

I cut each square from the charm packs in half to yield rectangles measuring 2.5 by 5 inches before sewing. I cut an equal number of rectangles from a gray Kona solid.

I skipped the design wall for this top. I dumped all the pieces in a basket and just grabbed a piece and  sewed. I love the random layout that resulted.

Those orange and turquoise bits sure pop!

This line is called Doe by Carolyn Friedlander. It is perfect for a guy quilt.

Looking forward to quilting this one up! Have a great day!

Linking up with Busy Hands QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom QuiltsDevoted Quilter

This entry was posted in Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Doe Rectangles

1. This is really nice! I like random and when it’s all put together it doesn’t seem random at all! Love the orange!

2. This turned out very pretty – love the placements of the orange – makes the quilt pop. Interesting on the darker background fabric, rather than an off white or tan.

3. piecefulwendy says:

I really like that fabric line (Doe) and it works great for a guy quilt! I agree that the orange and turquoise really bring a pop to the quilt. Nice!

4. Karen says:

Very pretty quilt. A great scrappy quilt pattern

5. Looking forward to seeing your quilted finish! It sure is a lovely gift!

6. Preeti says:

Perfectly manly quilt, with just the right pop of color. I am sure there will be a lot of compliments coming your way and may be many more requests for manly quilts.

7. Debbie H says:

i really love your colors. The dark gray really makes it pop.It is so funny to see a quilt outside. Our weather in Wisconsin is cold, and sleety with frozen snow mounds on the ground.

Well done and the perfect quilt for a young man!! You did it again, Katy!

9. Random is good. I love the Doe collection.

10. adaliza says:

Stunning quilt – those bright pops add so much to it. Random placement is so much fun and has really worked well for you with this one – it’s beautiful.

11. Micki says:

love it…great color combination. micki@2dogsstudio.us

12. dezertsuz says:

It’s wonderful, and any young man would love it. Thanks so much for showing it on your wall.