A Very Special QOV

It took me ages to come up with a plan for my daughter’s Quilt of Valor. I have always loved quilts  with hexagons and I definitely wanted stars on it. I wanted it to be patriotic, but subtle. I wanted it to be very personal and meaningful with little hidden things to discover over time. Honestly, even after deciding on a plan, I had a very hard time actually starting this quilt. I’m not exactly sure why. Perhaps because this is such an emotional project for me. Here are a few sneak peeks.

A lot of this is Tim Holtz’ fabric from his Eclectic Elements line.

It is always good to take pictures of your works in progress. I see things in pictures that I don’t see looking at the pieces on my design wall. I see things here that I want to change. But I didn’t see them until looking at the pictures on my iPad.

This won’t be done any time soon. As I have started sewing, I have thought of a few more things that I want to add, things I don’t have on hand right here, like a scrap from her old uniform pants. I have sewn rows now, but it is a simple matter at this point to rip and switch out a few pieces here and there. I don’t want to rush this. I need to make sure it has everything in it that I want to say.

I need to ponder some more on this one. But at least it is started.

Have a great day.

This entry was posted in Hexagons, Quilt of Valor, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Very Special QOV

1. Kathy D says:

I cannot wait to see how this labor of love comes out. Sounds like a personal “I Spy” quilt; what a wonderful idea! I love the “Eclectic Elements” collection; used it for my guest room quilt.

It’s going to be beautiful and so treasured! Hugs,

3. PattiP says:

great fabrics so far. This is really going to be interesting & unique

4. piecefulwendy says:

Oh Katy, this is going to be a wonderful quilt. How neat that you are making it for her! I like all the little details; I’d love to hear the stories behind some of them. I use my iPhone camera so often while I’m quilting. It gives a good view and I also catch things I don’t even when I have blocks on my design board. Enjoy your time stitching (and the warm weather — winter has arrived here in MN).

5. Terri Bertalan says:

She is going to just love it! It looks great already and I love your thought process.

6. Patti A. says:

I too am a Tim Holtz’ fan, it will be one great quilt. Can I ask how large are you hexagons? Can’t wait to see it finished whenever that might be, enjoy the journey!

7. Thank you for sharing such a personal project. Patchwork lends itself very well to personalization. I’m sure you are creating a treasure for your daughter ☺

8. Sharon says:

This quilt is going to be awesome! I love the colors and prints you are using. How big are these hexies? I love the other quilt you made with large hexies too. Are they the same size? Thanks.

9. Sandra B says:

Katy, I love the design and the fabrics in this very special quilt! Looking forward to following along! Thank you for sharing this journey….

10. Val W says:

What a wonderful honor it will be for you to award this QOV to your daughter. Cue the Kleenex.

11. dezertsuz says:

It is already showing signs of greatness. =) It’s special because of what you are doing, as well as for whom you are doing it.

12. ~Deb says:

What a labor of Love – outstanding! Can hardly wait to see this Quilt of Valor treasure.

~Deb

13. Good luck. This is definitely a labour of love. I’m sure she’ll appreciate all the extra thought you are putting into this quilt.