WIP Wednesday ~ Scrappy Trips

Warning: This might end up as the ugliest quilt ever! I had accumulated 100 FQs of Cotton and Steel fabrics and decided to slice and dice them up before I left home. A Scrappy Trips Quilt following the tutorial by Bonnie Hunter has been on my quilty bucket list for some time. So I thought these would be perfect!

The individual blocks aren’t too bad.

But….oh boy……

Yikes! Not sure I like this all together! It’s pretty wild!

Adding blocks is not necessarily helping.

I do enjoy making the blocks and Bonnie’s tutorial is excellent. So far, this is making me sea sick. I think I’m going to set this whole mess aside for the time being.

Linking up with Sew Fresh QuiltsQuilt Fabrication

26 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ Scrappy Trips

1. meredith england says:

Could you sash them with something quiet, just to separate all the madness? There’s a lot going on with all these fabrics!

2. sue says:

I love this. This is the kind of quilt I struggle to make. Chaotic randomness. I’m thinking of putting this on my 2017 wish-to-do list because it would be good for my “mental quilt health”. Besides, it would make the perfect family room/picnic quilt, no dirt or spills would ever show on it! Thanks for sharing this, you are always an inspiration.

3. What???? I think this looks great! The scrappier the better. Bright and happy too. Keep going!

4. Susan Lewis says:

I made the quilt with the same layout as you, and it came out fine. But recently I saw one on a blog (can’t remember which one) where all the blocks were laid out so that the dark squares ran in the same direction. So instead of forming diamonds, the dark squares formed long diagonal lines going in the same direction from one side to the other, (i.e. from top left to bottom right). It actually looked amazing.

5. I have to agree — quit worrying about the outcome and just enjoy making the blocks. Once you have all of them, you can fiddle with the layout. Possibly shading darker to lighter across the quilt (or diagonally) – but in a random, scrappy way. I think it will be wonderful!

6. Deb says:

It is busy,but not ugly. A plain border would maybe help the wild busy. Sometimes setting things aside helps one to forget the first mental image,then with time see it with a different perspective . 🙂

7. Summer Daisy says:

Pretty ♥ Hugs and happy Wednesday ♥

8. Sharon says:

I think it looks fine, it’s just not what you’re used to. This is what is called “out of your comfort zone”. I made scrappy trips quilt blocks (not a top yet) using Bonnie Hunter’s tutorial and it was really easy. I had a lot of fun with it. I think you should keep going.

9. Cathy says:

LOL….You never know until you get it together. It’s a fun pattern. If it turns out you hate it, it’ll be perfect for a charity quilt.

10. Zenia Rene says:

Nonsense!!! I’ll happily be the charity receiving Sea SickMess! hahaha

I like Susan’s idea but why not put it aside for awhile before trying another layout (kind of like cleansing your palate when wine tasting). haha

12. yanicka says:

it is hard when you have your nose 5inches from you work. Let it rest and come back with new eyes 🙂

13. Susan says:

You may not like it much, but there are those who think it’s fabulous, so don’t give up. I’m glad you’ve shared it on Midweek Makers

14. I did wonder where you were going with that first block, but used together, they are so effective, I love it!

15. dezertsuz says:

I’ve never liked that quilt, no matter who made it. Maybe setting it so you have all the same diagonal directions, someone suggested darks running one way? I would be sleepless using this quilt. Maybe quilting it to death would help? Setting it aside until further inspiration is a good idea.

16. I made a Scrappy Trips quilt just like yours and I love the scrappy randomness of it, and I feel the same about yours! Just love it! However, I know that look isn’t for everyone. I hope it grows on you, though!

17. Allison says:

Well, I’m not so sure that you should throw it back into your reject WIP pile just yet… lots of potential here! I don’t think things are as bad as you might be telling yourself. Sometimes it just might need an outsiders eye. I’m not really sure if I am on the right path here, but it appears that the left side is heavy on bright white LV’s while the right side is heavier on cream/greyed LV’s. What about mixing them up so they are spread out more? Busy? yes. Wild? yes. Like it? YES!

18. Linda Dutch says:

It’s a wonderful & scrappy! Maybe have a little break and then keep going!
    Having just finished one of these myself, I found two things that helped things look more cohesive. About 1/2 through, I simply made some blocks where there were lots more lights. Still aim for the central dark diagonal, just pick softer, lighter other fabrics. And the other thing that hepled was to chose a border/binding that highlighted your favourite colour – I felt that tended to calm things somewhat with my quilt!

19. Sandra B says:

Katy, don’t give up on this! I would keep going and not make a decision on setting until all the blocks are made. That way, you will have all the elements…and you can spread out the colors more effectively….I think you have the makings of an awesome quilt! So, that’s my two cents worth!!

20. I like it, it is scraptagious and scraptacular!!!

21. gayleburton says:

I think if you were to add some sashing between the blocks, it would calm down quite a bit! Love it!

22. Chantal L. says:

Here’s an option; why not make one trip around the world like the second picture on Bonnie’s blog? Maybe you would like it more? Maybe? I want to do a quilt like that in aqua and blue … someday. Good luck. ;^)

23. Vivian says:

I love Scrappy Trips for how scrappy and outrageous they get (like my favorite Australian quilts)! If you feel the need to reign them in a bit, I notice you have a lot of blocks where black runs through the center. Maybe putting those together in rings or diagonal rows will help “corral” the rest. Or if you make more blocks, let black centers be the “constant” and the extra blocks can go on the back or be the start of another one. I have a bag of strips waiting to do this too and look forward to them getting to the top of the “To Do” queue! Have fun!

24. Mary Huey says:

So perhaps “this scrappy” just isn’t your thing — wish I could come help you play with the arrangement. Vivian’s suggestion is a good one for starters. I have started one of these and think my first few blocks are ugly but I always love the finished ones I see on blogs and pinterest so I’ll keep making them. Stay with it and pay attention to your personal preferences as you work through the process!

25. Kate Heads says:

I have to disagree with you. Yes it is wild, but the more colours you put together the better it gets, I think it will be spectacular.

26. I love it! But I’ve rarely met a real scrap quilt I didn’t love. I have two pieces of advice: don’t make a final decision yet, at the very least, let it rest for a while and give it another chance later; when you do decide, do what is right to you as it IS your quilt, and if you just can’t love it, pass it to somebody who will.