WIP Wednesday ~ 36 Patch

I cut these 2 inch strips of Denyse Schmidt prints ages ago.

Before I got here, I cut white strips to go with so I could make a 36 patch top from them. This is how I am making my blocks.

First, I sew a white strip to a print strip. I do 6 sets at a time. Then I sub cut those into 13 inch lengths.

After sewing them together,  I careful stack up my strips sets so the seams are staggered.

Using a fresh blade, I rotary cut my strips.

I sort them into piles and chain piece my blocks.

And here are my six blocks.

Only 58 to go! Time for another season of Call the Midwife!

Linking up with Sew Fresh QuiltsQuilt Fabrication

13 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ 36 Patch

1. Sandra B says:

Katy, I love how these blocks are looking! Cannot wait to see all the fabrics sewn into blocks!!
    I can tell already, this is going to be an awesome quilt top!!
    You have probably grown tired of hearing me say how I am so amazed at the beautiful quilts that are made from such simple shapes….

2. PattiP says:

I LOVE the plaid cut that way! I’ve got a bunch of plaid crumbs left over from my challenge quilt for QOV stars. I wonder if those little things would be big enough to look that good

3. anudge says:

Who’d have thunk it – to cut plaid like that – then one doesn’t have to worry about it looking out of alignment. I’ve avoided plaids because of that. Now I won’t have to. Love your new quilt.

4. Looks great. I love all the thought you put into preparations before heading off to AZ. Glad you are enjoying Call the Midwife ☺

5. Ariane says:

These blocks look great!! It’s a great way to use up some of these fabrics! Love it!

6. piecefulwendy says:

I think I’d like to play with your fabric stash 🙂 This one is going to be really lovely!

7. dezertsuz says:

I always love the 36 Patch, and 25-Patch, too. Your blocks look great. I recognize that green print on top from my repro stash. Fits in perfectly with CW prints. =)

8. Susan says:

Awesome! So speedy and efficient – my kind of quilting! Thanks for sharing this on Midweek Makers

9. The blocks are looking great!

10. Katy, I always find something to inspire me on your blog. This time, it is both yours and several others. I am beginning to realize that the simplest designs are sometimes the most striking and it isn’t necessary to sew a complicated pattern to make a beautiful quilt. I am going to embrace that idea because I find myself losing interest in a project if it takes me too long. LOVE your 36-patch project. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out. 🙂

11. Linda Dutch says:

Love these blocks! And such a great way to use those plaids!

12. Sharon says:

Love your 36-patch blocks! Denyse Schmidt fabrics always look nice and never dated. I love traditional blocks and this is going to look awesome! Do you have any idea how much yardage you will use for this top – white and prints? Thanks Katy.

13. Christine Shoemaker says:

Don’t you just LOVE Call the Midwife?! It is one of my favs……