TBT ~ More Hexie Quilts!

As promised, today I am taking a look back at some of my bigger hexie quilts. The first one shown here was made for a dear friend. All the fabrics are from Denyse Schmidt’s lines.

20140702-113351-41631313.jpg

My version of Brinton Hall is a fairly recent finish. This was my first go at English Paper Piecing.

img_6503-1

This next one is my very oldest hexie quilt! I remember making a template out of a plastic coffee can lid! It is hand pieced and hand quilted. It actually appeared in a magazine in the mid 1990s.  You can tell my scrap stash was pretty weak at the time!

The block in this next quilt is often called a coffin due to the shape. I hand pieced this one and machine quilted it on my domestic machine.

This one is a late 1990s finish. It is hand pieced and hand quilted. It has been hanging behind our piano for years! I still love it!

This bed quilt was finished shortly after we moved to France in 1997. It is also hand pieced and hand quilted. Most of the piecing was done while waiting for my kids at gymnastics.

I have recently cut out yet another hexie quilt. I hope to start piecing that one soon!

This entry was posted in Hexagons, Throwback Thursday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to TBT ~ More Hexie Quilts!

1. piecefulwendy says:

I love your hexie quilts, so thanks for sharing them. The first one is really pretty — so crisp and cheerful with that white background. I’m looking forward to seeing your next hexie project!

2. Val W says:

Beautiful quilts! I especially like the first one from the Denyse Schmidt fabrics. It looks like such a happy quilt.

3. Sandra B says:

Love all these quilts, Katy! My favorite is the first one….thanks so much for sharing!!

4. Sharon says:

I really love your hexie quilts, especially the first one, the last one and the coffin one too. The colors are gorgeous! I just started doing hexies recently and they are addictive. But I’m just working on small projects and none are finished yet. (3/4″ and 1/2″ hexies) Sometimes I just baste them when I have a little time and don’t want to work on anything big, and they are small enough that I can take them with me. Your quilts are so beautiful that I am tempted to start a bed size one – so inspiring! I was wondering – did you use patterns or make them up yourself? Thanks, Katy.

5. Louise says:

They are all pretty wonderful, Katy. My favorite is the one using the toile….

6. anudge says:

Love them all. My favorite would have to be the one behind the piano. Thanks for sharing,

7. Lois Campbell says:

Amazing work on every last one of them, Katy. My favorite is the one you hand pieced and hand quilted in 1997.

8. gayleburton says:

So fun to see all these EPP quilts in one post. Each one is beautiful!

9. Jeanne says:

They are all wonderful, Katy!