DWMonday ~ A New Project

I know, I know, I have plenty of projects I should be working on without starting another! But I got an idea when this book showed up at the library.

Specifically, this quilt:

Bonnie Hunter, from Quiltville fame, gives great directions for making this quilt, but I wanted to see if I could adjust the pattern a bit to use my die cutter and dies. Once, I got the idea, I had to see if it would work! I used a small rectangle die, a quarter square triangle die, a small square die and a large square die. I had originally planned to show you the dies I used with exact sizes, but that didn’t seem at all fair to Bonnie. So please do not ask me for specifics! I am not trying to give away her pattern secrets.  Go to your local library and check out the book or buy a copy for yourself. Being a librarian, I did a little of both and bought this for my library!

In her book, Bonnie has a very clever method of cutting the odd shaped bits to size. But I decided to try another way first. I sewed all my bits together  like a 9 patch.

Then I placed my block on top of my larger  square die and ran it through. It worked perfectly to square it all up!

And now I have six! I will set this aside for now as I won’t be taking my scrap bins to Arizona. But I will definitely come back to this at some point.

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork Times

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to DWMonday ~ A New Project

1. beth shibley says:

Wow! Your library is on top of things! Those blocks are great!

2. Bonnie in Va says:

Congrats on figuring the block out with dies for your go. Clever girl. I need to drag out Easy Street and make the borders or, just skip them. I don’t see it happening all that soon though. And we all know Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Time to think of her mystery quilt.

3. Kate says:

A very fun scrappy set of blocks.

4. Great blocks. Not sure how the book tells you to do it, but your way seems to make great sense.

5. Val W says:

My library can’t pick out quilt books worth a darn either – like Kathy D. I’d love to see a list of ‘must -have’ quilt books for libraries. I get tired of getting mine through MelCat!

6. Sandra B says:

Love this quilt…it is on my “to do” list! Love the fabrics you are using!! Looking forward to seeing this one on its journey to becoming a quilt top!!

7. gayleburton says:

You sure do get a lot of use out of your die cutting machine! Brilliant!

8. Vivian says:

Nothing like a good Bonnie Hunter project to get the juices flowing! Now that I have a die cutter, I too love to see if I can “Make It Go!” and usually I can.

9. anudge says:

Great scrap quilt, too. Love the blocks you’ve made so far.

10. Rochelle Summers says:

What a great idea! I love finding more uses for those cutters. The blocks look wonderful.

11. Lois Campbell says:

The blocks you HAVE finished are fantastic! I bet that’s the first project you dig into once you return home. (Seems like such a long ways off.)

12. Joyce Barham says:

I love that pattern. I have the book, but definitely do not need to start a new project right now. I’ve started 4 new projects since last Nov. 2015. But I’ll keep this on my bucket list. I have lots of stash and scraps. Thanks! Blessings! Joyce B. in the Ozark Mountains of AR.

I like those blocks you have done already. Hugs,

14. I have that book, and I have been looking for that block to go with my wild and goosey blocks, and it was here all the time – thanks for the help

15. piecefulwendy says:

If I worked at a library, I’d probably never get anything done because I’d be too distracted by the books, especially quilt books! Haha. Your quilt is really cute.

16. Kathy D says:

I’d sure love it if you recommended quilt books to my local library! The few new ones they get aren’t exactly my cup of tea.

17. What a great scrappy project. I have always loved this block and I’ve used it for a few signature quilts. I love the fact that you can use your die cutter for it! I have been tempted to get one. Hmmm….