DWMonday ~ 16 patch Quilt of Valor

Missouri Star Quilt Company e-mails are dangerous. They have daily deals that are tempting! But handy. I ordered this jelly roll recently and it arrived the day before I went to the QOV sew day.

I like these Robert Kauffman rolls, they don’t have the pinked edges! I needed something to work on at the sew day and this arrived just in time. As soon as it arrived, I knew it would make a perfect 16 patch quilt for a QOV. Honestly, I didn’t get much done that day, I was too busy talking, I guess! I did pair up my strips and got a few sewn.

This is one of the blocks.

I will alternate dark red and dark blue blocks like this.

I love 16 patch quilts. They are fun and easy. I brought these along to work on while dog sitting as well. I got the blocks done and have had lots of help laying them out!

Time to go walk some doggies and snuggle some babies.

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork Times

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday, Quilt of Valor, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to DWMonday ~ 16 patch Quilt of Valor

1. Judy says:

That is so cool! So you take two jelly roll strips, sew them together, press, and cut them at 2.5 in. then sew them all together? I want to try this. Please let me know the specifics. Thank you for letting me tag you on Instagram. I have no sewing friends so when it asks to tag someone I have no idea what to do. I won’t bother you again. Thank you for your understanding. I love your quilts. I’m trying to do a quilt in red, white, and blues, with tans but it has been challenging as I have only small pieces. Thank you for all you do for our Military people. You are a very special person!

2. Kathy D. says:

Somehow, I missed that Missouri Star Daily Deal, or was clueless how to use it if I caved in. Next time, I’ll know to make a 16 patch! Thanks for sharing.

3. piecefulwendy says:

Another pretty quilt! Those daily deals are dangerous — I’ve managed to pass on them lately, but it’s been a challenge! I have similar quilt layout help, of a feline variety. 🙂

4. Excellent and wonderful idea for a QOV top!!!

5. Sandra B says:

Love these blocks, Katy! This will be a great quilt!! Looking forward to seeing the quilt top all finished!
    Thanks for mentioning that Robert Kaufman jelly rolls do not have pinked edges…I will definitely keep that in mind when I am shopping!!

6. Sharon A Browne says:

Love this jelly roll color combination and your pattern choice! I’ve always wanted to make a 16-Patch. Can you tell me what size quilt this will make? I’ve never used a jelly roll before but it looks like fun. Thanks Katy.

7. Wow! Thank you so much for introducing me to these “no pinked” rolls. I never buy jelly rolls because I hate the pinked edges. These are great! Love the quilt too!

8. I thought jelly rolls were sacred, not to be opened, and just looked at lol I am inspired by the idea of doing that when I sew out and about – thanks

9. Kathi Riemer says:

I love the jelly roll and I agree that then strait edge rolls are easier to work with than the pinked edge ones. Your 16 patch is lovely!

10. Janet O. says:

I love 16 patches, too. I often say that the basic block patterns make the best quilts. This is SO fun, Katy. Love it!
    I am glad to know about the lack of pinked edges on the Kauffman jelly roll strips.
    BTW, I don’t receive the MSQC emails. As you mention–too dangerous for me. But I do have the daily deal bookmarked and I pop in on it a few times a week. Silly, right? I might as well receive the emails. : )

11. anudge says:

What a great idea.

12. What a striking bunch of blocks! I like it. There is just something about simple squares that makes me happy. And yes, I feel you with the dog, dogs in my case!

13. I also hate the pinked edges – thanks for reminding me that the RK rolls are not that way. You quilt will look great…especially if there is some way you could include that sweet puppy! LOL

I love this. Hugs,

15. Patricia says:

Oh my! I’ve never bought jelly rolls because the patterns I’ve seen look so intimidating. I love your quilt! I agree with Judy, I would love the specifics on making this quilt! It’s so beautiful and seems like it makes a good sized quilt! Thank you for sharing!

16. Bonnie in Va says:

What a great use of a jelly roll. I don’t tend to buy precuts but every once in a while I do and wow you can get some great bargains that way!

17. Gari says:

I have been afraid to start following the daily deal for exactly that reason. I have a whole wall of wonderful fabrics that I need to work my way through. But those jelly rolls do make for great quick quilts. Yours looks great for a QOV.

18. Emily Bailey says:

This is a great 16 patch quilt!