DWMonday ~ Grant and Lee

I just love this panel that I recently received as a surprise gift!

As I started thinking about what to do with it, I remembered these 9 patches I had from a swap a few years ago.

These finish at 3 inches, so I trimmed the panel and added borders to get the math to work out evenly.

That border fabric has been in my stash for a VERY long time! I think it was from Fons and Porter’s very first line! I cut some plain blocks from some repro shirting fabrics and then I started playing around with a layout.

I might need to make a few more 9 patches, but I have to try not to go too crazy. I want this to be a wall quilt. Lately, it seems that I want to make everything into a bed quilt!

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork TimesShe Can Quilt

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to DWMonday ~ Grant and Lee

1. Cécile says:

It’s going to become an awesome quilt ! No doubt about that !

2. That panel is pretty cool looking! You’ll do your magic and make a lovely wall hanging. Have fun with it!

3. Sandra B says:

Those little nine patch blocks make a perfect border for the panel…..and I love the shirting fabrics for the alternating blocks!! Looking forward to seeing it all finished…..

4. Julia Graber says:

The small nine patches go lovely with the center panel. Just the right color and style of fabric.

I love where your idea is going! The panel is wonderful. Hugs,

6. Bonnie in Va says:

How wonderful to have a wall quilt come together so well. And, the part I like best is that the 9 patches for the most part are already done and your stash gave forth the fabric bordering the panel and the shirtings. I call that a free quilt! Hope to see it finished soon.

7. So nice and so quick! As far as I can see, all you need now is something darker for the final border to tie in to the center and frame the entire piece! Just lovely!

8. Yummy! My favorite kind of quilt. You’ve inspired me to dig out my panel!

9. Emily Bailey says:

I really like how this is coming.

10. susanna0841 says:

Looks lovely Katy. A great idea!

11. Kate says:

You made very quick work of that panel. It’s going to be a beautiful wall hanging.

12. SarahZ says:

The nines are a perfect complement to that neat panel! Have fun!

13. Barb Vedder says:

that panel looks fabulous with nine patches – one of my all time favorite blocks!

14. shecanquilt says:

Scrappy 3″ nine patches, that is so fun. This is a lovely piece, thank you for sharing it for Scraptastic Tuesday.

15. Nicky says:

haha – nothing wrong with making it a bed quilt! Fun project. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday