Antique Quilts

Hubby had a couple meetings in Detroit yesterday and I tagged along for the ride. We stopped on a little antiques hope on the way home and found these lovely items.

This top was my favorite, but way out of my budget.

This one had some fun fabrics!

This quilt was simply amazing!the fabrics are late 1800s and the quilt was in incredible condition. That tiny binding was so narrow and so neatly done with ting hand stitches.

I couldn’t help but wonder about the woman that made this.

I’m not sure what to say about this jacket!

I kind of wanted to cry when I saw it.

Nothing followed me home, but it was fun to look.

Linking up with The Quilting Room with Mel

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Antique Quilts

1. Kathi says:

You surely found some lovelies on our daytrip into Detroit! 🙂 I think Bonnie Hunter would use that jacket.. it matches one of her pair of shoes I think too! lol Have a great day Katy! ~ Kathi

2. Cécile says:

The jacket is…..how can I say…hum…unusual ? 😉
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts !

3. piecefulwendy says:

Oh wow – that churn dash quilt is really gorgeous! I was thinking of you yesterday as I was wandering through an antique store and came upon two little sewing machines. They were so cute!

4. Oh my goodness that jacket has me done for!! It’s so lovely to see such gorgeous old quilts – I too always wonder about the people who made them.

5. Janette says:

I will never understand how someone can cut up a beautiful work of art to make a jacket or stuffed toy. It probably had some damaged areas, but they just added insult to injury by chopping it up and probably throwing away the left over parts. To me it feels very disrespectful and wasteful. A crime was committed.

What FUN!!!

7. Melanie says:

I, too, once winced when I saw a quilted item cut from a quilt, but since we cannot see the condition of the quilt before cutting, I try to “assume” it was so badly damaged (perhaps shredded in areas by a naughty dog, walked on {what??} by someone with greasy boots, left to get mildrewed in a damp closet perhaps) that there was no other way to salvage what remained. Better than to see it thrown in the dump!

8. Thanks for the antique quilt “show”! I enjoyed that!

9. Oh, I could cry too! I once found a robe made from a beautiful 1840 quilt in pristine condition. Argh! I bought it and donated it to the AQSG auction that year so that all the quilt historians could use it in their lectures of “what NOT to do with a quilt”. Thanks for sharng these treasures.

10. Terri says:

I like the jacket! Looks like they had some nice stuff there. Where is that at anyway?  Terri Bertalan