Throwback Thursday ~ Labyrinth Quilts

I have been fascinated by labyrinths ever since I saw a picture of one in a book years ago. It was one of the things I most wanted to see when we lived in France. I searched every cathedral to see if there was one. My favorite? The one at Chartres, of course! And this quilt is patterned after that one.

I had a picture of the labyrinth from a book I purchased there and copied it onto transparency film. Then I used an overhead projector so I could trace the pattern onto a large piece of freezer paper taped to the wall. I very carefully cut out both the positive and negative parts. I ironed down the part with the “paths” onto the blue batik and then discharged the dye with bleach. It was hours and hours of prep work followed by a terrifying 5 minutes of discharge!

It is one of my favorite quilts that I have ever made. And what did I do with the other part of the freezer paper? I ironed it onto black fabric that was layered with a round tie dyed piece and stitched along the edges. Then I cut away the black to reveal the path. Then I quilted it to death to get it to lay flat. LOL

The next one is another one done with bleach discharge. This one has 7 circuit labyrinths. It is called The Long Dark Night of the Soul after the book of that title by St John of the Cross. It hung at the Sacred Threads exhibition in 2006 or so. It also hung in a local art show and brought home a nice cash award.

The next one was also a bleach discharge quilt. The border fabrics were purchased on a trip to Hawaii.

And the last one is pieced. It is a 9 circuit labyrinth.

I quilted a Celtic knot in the center.
Looking back at these pictures makes me want to make another!

I hope you enjoyed  this look back. Have a great day!

Linking up with A Quarter Inch from the EdgeMy Quilt Infatuation

This entry was posted in Labyrinth, Throwback Thursday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Throwback Thursday ~ Labyrinth Quilts

1. These are lovely – I was just expecting the first one and then I scrolled down!!! I am curious if you know the number of quilts you have made?!!!

2. Lisa says:

I also expected to see one quilt and was treated to this wonderful display.It’s great to see so many variations on a theme.

3. Linda Mincher says:

Wow! Those are all such wonderful quilts. I love the variety.

4. Val W says:

These are such dynamic quilts. I like how the tie dyed one radiates with energy. Beautiful!

5. Judi Smith says:

My husband is a pastor and had visited several labyrinths. I showed him your quilts and, of course, I knew what was coming. He wants to know when I’ll make one for him!! Guess it’s time to learn a new skill! They are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing those today!

6. piecefulwendy says:

What fun to see so many of your creations! They look a little challenging to me, but you’ve done a superb job with them!

These are so wonderful! I loved seeing them. You are such an accomplished designer and quilter. Hugs,

8. Thank you so so much for sharing all of these quilts and for the insights into how you made them! I also love labyrinths, but haven’t yet made a quilty one – this is such an inspiration! 🙂

9. Louise says:

Your work is amazing!

10. anudge says:

So enjoyed this segment of your work. Beautiful.

11. Wow, wow, wow! i will try to remember to e-mail you a photo of a friend’s quilt that was in our show last weekend. You will love it!

12. Lena says:

These are absolutely amazing! And how clever it is to use one piece of freezer paper for two quilts in different techniques! You’re tempting me to try something like this))

13. JanineMarie says:

Wow, what amazing work! I know it’s not necessary for me to have a favorite, but I love the blue and white one. They all show off so many of your talents, though. I know nothing about bleach discharge. It looks very scary to me, but you have obviously mastered working with it.

14. Bonnie in Va says:

Wonderful! It’s amazing. Love all the different colors but I think my favorite is the one with the tie dye.

15. Oooh… those are amazing! My father recently made a labyrinth at our cottage as part of his garden. It’s very fun to sit and stare at or to wander around. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

16. Katy, these are incredible!

17. Wow! Amazing. Sounds like it was a lot of work, but huge pay off in the end.

18. Susan says: