Finish It Up Friday ~ Flying Geese Baby Quilt

Today I am sharing  with you my Flying Geese Baby Quilt. I love it when I find bits and pieces around my sewing room that I can use for a quick finish! I found these flying geese units while scrounging for something else. My only regret is that I have one left over. I would have used it but then I wouldn’t have had enough of the fabric on the sides. Such a dilemma!

I had fun with the quilting. It is all freehand work. I think the ribbon candy design in the geese looks a bit like little trees.

Big clam shells in the red. I didn’t want the quilting too tight because I wanted the quilt to stay soft.

I call the quilting in the blue area topographic map. You just have to be careful not to quilt yourself into a corner with this design!

Here is the back.

Here are a few pics after washing.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom Quilts, Sew Can SheSarah Goer Quilts

This entry was posted in Baby Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Flying Geese Baby Quilt

1. Can you use left over geese for label? Love the quilt

2. It looks like you managed to keep it soft and cuddly, and baby will love it. I like Cecelia’s suggestion of using the last FG for a label.

3. Louise says:

Well, I think Cecelia and Beth have beat me to it…my first thought too was label! Love all of your creative quilting on it..

Your freehand quilting is simply wonderful!! You’re so talented, Katy. It’s always such a pleasure to follow your work.

5. Ramona says:

What a great quilt! And it’s a bonus that it went together so quickly. Love the quilting, especially in the geese. Lovely!

6. Sarah Goer says:

Beautiful! Your quilting is perfection! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF. šŸ™‚

7. Sandra B says:

Great finish! Love the quilting, and I really like the idea a couple of commenters had, to use that leftover FG block for a label!

8. I have a box of left over blocks and parts of blocks. The parts department – from Gwen Marston – and at various times when I’m making scrappy quilts, I find units there I can use. I can also make entire quilts, really scrappy ones, from left-over blocks and pieces I find in that box. Naturally the vast majority of the blocks in the box are from my own projects, but there are also blocks made by others. At quilt retreats, I’ve discovered blocks in the trash and rescued them for my parts department. They may have come out the wrong size or the maker may have decided she didn’t like the color combination after all? And not everybody else saves extra blocks.

This is a great baby quilt! Very happy looking. Hugs,

10. I love how the quilting rounds out the flying geese. Cute!

11. anudge says:

I call these spontaneous construction – lol. do share at Michelle’s Let’s Make Baby Quilts.

12. Paige says:

Love the topo quilting! What a fun quilt!

13. Judy says:

Very cute, nice finish! Love the bold graphic look of this and the limited colors.

14. Patti says:

very cool, love the quilting of course