TBThursday – Mini Trip Around the World/Border Tutorial

Here ‘s another older quilt that I made. Actually, I need to qualify that. I and my friend Anonymous made this. I bought this vintage block on e-Bay, added borders, quilted and finished it. I love it!

This is another quilt that ended up in one or another issue of QUILT magazine. You can see the quilting on the back here.

This border quilting design was often used by  my husband’s grandmother.

I like to use it still! And I thought you might as well. I tried to draw in my quilting plan below to show you how I did this.

I hope you can tell that you end up quilting some lines twice in order to keep this continuous and not have to break your thread. Also, I have a small template that I created to mark this with. It is a simple house shape.

Sorry for the even messier than usual handwriting! I used an app called Adobe Ideas to make these and that requires “writing” with my finger tip. Sadly, this app is no longer available. However, there is another app that can be used for this called You Doodle. I learned about it from Kathy over at Rose City Quilter. If you click the link, you can read more about it.

I hope this is helpful!

Linking up with A Quarter Inch From the EdgeMy Quilt Infatuation

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Throwback Thursday, Tutorials, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to TBThursday – Mini Trip Around the World/Border Tutorial

1. Vivian says:

Love your “rescued” Trip quilt! What a great continuous stitch border design. I can see it would even allow for another variation: adding an additional line going up from the “house” peak. Definitely printing this out and filing it in the “Quilt Whisper” ideas folder!. Thanks for sharing it!

2. Lisa says:

What a wonderful ebay find. Thanks for sharing the continuous quilting pattern and instructions.

3. Quiltmouse says:

It was great that you took someone’s orphan block to make a beautiful mini quilt! Thank you for sharing the ‘house’ quilting pattern and demonstrating how it was done continuously. I’m tinkering with FMQ and just did some loopy clouds. I wasn’t happy with all the start/stopping (and hiding all the thread tails). Anytime I can continuously stitch I’m happier. No quilt police here. There are times you have to overstitch. It works!

4. Awesome. I didn’t see the house pattern until you pointed it out. I like it!

The mini “trip” quilt is adorable!! Thanks for taking the time to show us how you created the border quilting. I love it!!

6. That is so helpful to see the path of your stitching that you used to create that quilting design. Great post! I loved that you rescued an orphan in the process. šŸ™‚

7. Paige says:

What a great find and the yellow border is perfect! Thank you for the border tutorial, great design!

8. Sandra B says:

Love this little quilt, Katy! And I agree that the yellow border is perfect….
    I have always loved Trip Around the World quilts! I am saving a picture of this one ….hoping it will inspire me to make a big one!!

9. JanineMarie says:

What a pretty block you have saved with your quilting. And I think it’s wonderful that the quilting design has been handed down to you through the family. Thanks for sharing how to do it. I love, love Trip Around the World Quilts.

10. Terri Bertalan says:

Thanks for sharing your family design and how to do it. love the quilt too šŸ™‚

11. Patti says:

like your grandmother’s border thanks for the stitching path.

12. Very traditional, but I can see using that border pattern on a more modern quilt. Thank you for sharing how to do it and for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!