Cleaning Closets

Sounds fun, right? Not so much. I didn’t take a single stitch yesterday as I was too busy cleaning. The up side is that I found a couple quilts I hadn’t seen in a while. This is one inspired by Gwen Marston. I couldn’t find it when I did my announcement for theGwennie Inspired QAL. This one actually appeared in an issue of Quilt Magazine back in the day. It has been washed a gazillion times.

This next one has blocks from a swap way back in the days of the AOL Online quilters. Remember that? We had a small group and each made blocks to represent our house.

I love the lace curtains in the one on the upper right! The one on the right in the second row was made by a lady who lives Ina very modern looking house. She said if the roof was removed and you looked at her house from above, it would resemble a box of fabric!

At the time, we lived in a 1950s ranch and had just painted it blue.

Daughter #2 loved this quilt. I used to rock her with this quilt and we would make up stories about the people that lived in these houses. It isn’t a “pretty” quilt, or well done. But the memories of sitting with my baby girl mean it’s a keeper.

Happy Tuesday!

Linking up with Free Motion by the River, The Quilting Room with Mel, Blossom Heart Quilts

9 Responses to Cleaning Closets

1. Gail says:

Quilting is all about the memories and stories behind the quilts. Thanks for sharing your quilts and stories.

That is such a sweet memory to share. Hugs,

3. Cécile says:

Your quilt full of memory is beautiful ! And I love the Gwen Marston’s quilt ! I have the impression that the 9patch are dancing !

4. anudge says:

What a nice story about your house quilt. Amazing what one finds in cleaning closets.

5. Jennifer says:

What wonderful memories that go along with your quilts. Thanks for sharing.

6. Sandra B says:

What a great post today, Katy!
    Quilts are such a great reference for a point in time, and recall all the memories that go along with that time….I love that house quilt, and the “history” of it! Thanks for sharing!!

7. Alycia says:

Fantastic!!! It was probably a good walk down memory lane too!

8. You hit the nail on the head about what is important as far as our quilts are concerned.

I definitely need to get in and clean out our master bedroom closet. Thanks for reminding me. Ha!

9. Judy in MO says:

What a great memory quilt! That’s why we do what we do, isn’t it?