Cleaning Closets

Sounds fun, right? Not so much. I didn’t take a single stitch yesterday as I was too busy cleaning. The up side is that I found a couple quilts I hadn’t seen in a while. This is one inspired by Gwen Marston. I couldn’t find it when I did my announcement for theGwennie Inspired QAL. This one actually appeared in an issue of Quilt Magazine back in the day. It has been washed a gazillion times.

This next one has blocks from a swap way back in the days of the AOL Online quilters. Remember that? We had a small group and each made blocks to represent our house.

I love the lace curtains in the one on the upper right! The one on the right in the second row was made by a lady who lives Ina very modern looking house. She said if the roof was removed and you looked at her house from above, it would resemble a box of fabric!

At the time, we lived in a 1950s ranch and had just painted it blue.

Daughter #2 loved this quilt. I used to rock her with this quilt and we would make up stories about the people that lived in these houses. It isn’t a “pretty” quilt, or well done. But the memories of sitting with my baby girl mean it’s a keeper.

Happy Tuesday!

Linking up with Free Motion by the River, The Quilting Room with Mel, Blossom Heart Quilts

9 Responses to Cleaning Closets

1. Judy in MO says:

What a great memory quilt! That’s why we do what we do, isn’t it?

2. You hit the nail on the head about what is important as far as our quilts are concerned.

I definitely need to get in and clean out our master bedroom closet. Thanks for reminding me. Ha!

3. Alycia says:

Fantastic!!! It was probably a good walk down memory lane too!

4. Sandra B says:

What a great post today, Katy!
    Quilts are such a great reference for a point in time, and recall all the memories that go along with that time….I love that house quilt, and the “history” of it! Thanks for sharing!!

5. Jennifer says:

What wonderful memories that go along with your quilts. Thanks for sharing.

6. anudge says:

What a nice story about your house quilt. Amazing what one finds in cleaning closets.

7. Cécile says:

Your quilt full of memory is beautiful ! And I love the Gwen Marston’s quilt ! I have the impression that the 9patch are dancing !

That is such a sweet memory to share. Hugs,

9. Gail says:

Quilting is all about the memories and stories behind the quilts. Thanks for sharing your quilts and stories.