A Tiny Finish

Remember my Mick Jagger free motion quilted practice piece?

The plan was to cut it up to make small zipper bags, but haven’t been able to locate my box of zippers. It is somewhere in the black hole of a walk in closet containing games, leftover kid stuff, miscellaneous household stuff etc. I found a small zipper in one of my sewing cupboards this week and decided to make one.

This one finishes at about 6 inches on a side. The zipper has metal teeth so you really have to take care with sewing near the ends. Here is the other side.

I have made a number of these bags in the past. It is a good way to use the free motion practice pieces that accumulate. I like making this pyramid shape rather than a flat pouch, I just think they are more fun that way. I made the next one about ten years ago.

I use this one to store my double pointed knitting needles.

I always liked this next one.

I use it to store scissors when I travel.

I used a piece of leftover zipper as a loop for this wristlet that I use for my camera.

The fabric is a scrap of my hand dye.

Maybe I should clean that closet out and find the rest of my zippers!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictCrazy Mom QuiltsQuilt Matters

This entry was posted in Crafty Things, Free Motion Quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Tiny Finish

1. Linda Mincher says:

That is a great FMQ practice piece and I love all the pouches. They really show off your FMQ skills!

2. Sandra says:

GREAT idea, and one I will definitely copy to use up some of these very pieces of practice FMQ! Love that first practice piece too wow.

3. Jayne says:

Yes…go find those zippers!! Each zipper bag is so gorgeous, unique and of course useful! Such a great idea to use FMQ practice sandwiches! You are so dang smart!

4. Sandra B says:

Love all these little projects! I am still trying to find the time to make a Sew Together Bag! Maybe I should start out with smaller ones to get the hang of doing those zippers first!!

5. Louise says:

I have made quite a few of these little bags. They make a fast easy gift especially when filled with a little surprise inside..

6. Alycia says:

What a fun idea! Love your quilting on it!

7. Janet O. says:

Such a clever use of practice pieces–love them all!
    When I was at the Home Machine Quilting Show, I saw Dusty Ferrell “doodling” (as he called it) on a longarm machine. He said he often sent the doodles to a woman that made bags from them to raise money for some worthy cause. Seeing your fun creations inspires me. I don’t love doing zippers, but maybe I should force myself!

8. Carie says:

What a great way to use your practice pieces – I was thinking they’d made great knitting bags!!

9. susanna0841 says:

Wow I am SO impressed with your quilting sample. I am not much of a machine quilter, so work like that, to me, is amazing. I’ve got a great machine, and I know it’s a matter of practice!
    I love that you have used it to make your little bags.

10. Paula CameronBrooks says:

Great work!! love your bags

11. What a great idea!! Just shows…practice makes perfect… BAGS!

12. What a great idea to use free motion quilting for! Love that rainbow graffiti quilting — just awesome! Will have to give that a try — very cool!

13. Patti says: