Gwennie Inspired Medallion Quilt Along!

Are you ready for some fun? How about a quilt along? This is the brain child of Lori over at Humble Quilts. Lori, myself, and four other blogger/quilters will be working on Gwen Marston inspired medallion quilts! Lori is choosing the theme for the center, and then each month one of the quilters in our group will be choosing a theme for a border. And to make it even more fun, you can play along! We will be sharing our progress each month on our blogs and announcing the theme for the next border at that time.

I have loved Gwen’s work for ages. If there was one person I would like to sit and watch work in her studio, it would be Gwen Marston. I thought today I would show you a few of my Gwen inspired quilts. These are oldies! The first one was patterned in Ladies Circle Patchwork Quilts and it was called Pokeberry.

img_4596

This one started out as a round robin project with my local guild.img_4659

I remember so clearly working on this little quilt! I was so pleased with how precise everything was turning out. I made my HSTs for the outer  border, added the white border and, WHAT????!?!?!?! I cut the white border wrong! I was so upset I had to walk away. I went to get the mail and my copy of Ladies Circle Patchwork Quilts had arrived. I turned to Gwen’s column and she had written an article about piecing borders and chopping off what didn’t fit. It was a light bulb moment for me. She said this was the way women had worked for years and it wasn’t necessarily wrong. I went back to my little top, measured my HST borders and chopped off the extra.

And the world did not end.

At that very moment, I felt that I began to own my quilt making journey. I could and would continue to learn from others, but this was MY journey and I could do whatever I wanted. The quilt police lost their power.

This  one I made in the late 90s when we lived in France. It was inspired by Gwen’s work in her book, Liberated Quiltmaking.

I can’t tell you how many wonky star baby quilts I have made using this idea!

Here are just a few of Gwen’s books. They are all fabulous.

So, won’t you join us in our Gwen Inspired Medallion Quilt Along? The assignment for the first month, is to make the enter block. And the theme for the center, is a basket. Or maybe a cluster of baskets, pieced, appliquéd, whatever! In any size you want. We will announce the theme for the first border on the first Monday of next month. Four borders will be added to the basket center. We will have link ups to share your progress each month. I can’t wait to see how everyone chooses to interpret the basket theme!

It is sure to be fun! Here are the other participating bloggers:

Wendy –http://theconstantquilter.blogspot.com/
Cynthia-http://wabisabiquilts.blogspot.com/
Cathy- http://wwwbiglakequilter.blogspot.com/
Katy- https://katyquilts.wordpress.com/
Lori- http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/

I sure hope you all will join in and quilt along with us!

Linking up with Em’s Scrap Bag , Cooking Up Quilts

This entry was posted in Gwennie inspired Medallion QAL, Gwennie QAL, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Gwennie Inspired Medallion Quilt Along!

1. Oldies but goodies! Precision can be overrated! Very well put – we are each on our own quilt journey. I look forward to seeing how we all interpret the basket theme.

2. Lisa says:

Sounds like fun. I also love Gwen Marston and have the book liberated quilt making two, and minimalism…not sure if I have time to join you but I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

3. Paige says:

Looking forward to following along!

4. piecefulwendy says:

Oh, this is tempting! I have Liberated Quiltmaking and I’ve wanted to dive into it. Hmm. At any rate, I’ll look forward to your posts, as always.

5. LoriD says:

The world did not come to an end! I love that, Katy!!

6. Cécile says:

I don’t know if I’m able to do it…. A the end, there will be 5 blocks ?

7. Louise says:

So happy to see Gwen’s name on two of my favorite blogs this morning. I am working on a small piece for my sister’s birthday, it is now a flimsy. Make that a liberated flimsy..not sure how it happened but it is definitely okay. My sister and I have admired Gwen and her work for many years, therefore it is definitely okay!

8. Cécile says:

Katy, it’s just baskets ? No flowers in it ?

9. Wendy Reed says:

I love your story about how you “freed” yourself! I am really looking forward to being a part of this group and can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

10. Hi Katy! Your blog is new to me, but I have added you to my blog list so I can keep up with your progress on this project. I am going to join in the Gwennie Inspired sew along. Love your Gwennie inspired quilts! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for basket medallion!

11. I hope you all have fun following Gwen’s liberated quilt making. Do you know that she actually has a book called “Liberated Medallion Quilts”? Published by AQS. AQS is also publishing a retrospective on her work which is due out this fall.
    I was fortunate to attend the last three years of her Beaver Island Quilt Retreats before she retired from doing them in 2013, having held the retreats for 30 years she decided to call it quits! I’m so glad I got a chance to get in on the tail end, to be inspired, liberated, and taught by Gwen and to get to know her. She was a “modern quilter” long before anybody had even realized there was such a thing!

12. chris hudson says:

Love this idea! Of course I already have several projects in the works, but I feel a strong pull to jump on this project as well! I took a class with Gwen many years ago, 17 years ago! I never finished the block at the time – a basket block! So it will be perfect for this project. Love that – the world did not stop spinning! Happy quilting!

13. “The quilt police lost their power.” How cool is that? 🙂 It will be fun to follow along and see what everyone creates.

14. Julierose says:

Sounds like a really fun quilt-a-long…I LOVE baskets–I made a wonky-basket quilt a few years ago and donated it to my Mom’s Nursing Home for their fund raiser for social services–it was a lot of fun…I am SO tempted–even tho’ this is the year of my “one thing at a time” project….hmmmm hugs, Julierose