Another Baptist Fan Quilt!

I have another quilt quilted with the Baptist Fan design to share with you today. This one was made by my husband’s grandmother, Effie. It has lots of wonderful 1930’s fabrics.
I love the string blocks mixed with the 9 patches.  This has seen a lot of use and it has been mended here and there. It seems to be quite fragile. The fabrics in some blocks have completely worn away to reveal the batting.

Two corners have been rounded off. I have no idea why! The backing is a plain muslin. It was hand quilted in a frame. You can see on the back that they worked the fans from opposite sides and met in the middle.

Here you can see it on my guest room bed.

I hope my quilts look like this someday, after a lifetime of use and love!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Another Baptist Fan Quilt!

1. bsellers21 says:

Quilts like these are so precious. I brought one home yesterday made by my b-I-l’s grandmother and it has the same worn through look in some places. I’ve been asked to try to repair it but I’m not sure it’s possible. I love the simplicity of the patterns and the fabrics in older quilts. I can just feel the peace of ‘simpler times’ when I touch one of them. Does that sound dorky?

2. Judy in MO says:

What a beauty! I love the combination of the nine patches and the string blocks.

3. Quiltmouse says:

Lots of love went into that quilt and it has obviously been used. That is what I wish for each quilt that I make. Marvelous that you have tenderly cared for it. If it could talk, it would be interesting to hear it’s story! Is there a label on it sharing some of it’s info?

4. Luann says:

Katy,
    I just read that a possible method to preserving old quilts with worn areas is to hand appliqué a piece of organdy over the area. Just an idea
    Luann

5. WOW!! She is still lovely!!!

I love quilts like this! She’s lovely. Hugs,

What a precious treasure! There was no waste in the 30’s and Dear Effie made use of every bit of fabric. It looks wonderful in your guest room.

8. Cécile says:

OMG Katy ! What a treasure…..I really love these fabrics and the design is very original !