DWMonday ~ Procrastination and Social Media

I’ve been procrastinating on the sewing for a quilt I cut out some weeks back. All the prints are from a couple lines of Tina Givens fabrics.

img_3129

They seem to play well with each other but not so much with fabrics by other designers. I cut what I thought was the perfect background color.

But now, I’m not so sure. I think this is what has been keeping me from working on this. I found a piece of a  very odd color of Kona in my stash and it might be better. It’s hard to see the difference between these two fabrics, the second has a rosy tone to it. I have exactly three yards of this, it might be enough.

I cut a few pieces of the second fabric for  a side by side comparison. I think this shows the truest color. The backing will be a chocolate brown minky.

Thoughts?
In other news, this happened on Instagram last week.

Who knew that many people cared what I am sewing on any given day? Daughter #2 encouraged me to get an IG account just for quilting a couple years ago. I have really enjoyed it as a way to connect with other quilters and find inspiration for projects. I keep a separate, private IG account for family photos.

It doesn’t replace blogging though, or reading blogs. I love both. For the last few years, I have used Bloglovin’ to keep up with the blogs I follow.  There are some things about it that I don’t care for. I know many people use Feedly, but apparently it doesn’t always play nice either.

I have Facebook, but I don’t post much quilting stuff there. I mostly use it to keep up with friends and family. Some quilters have FB accounts for just quilting, but I think that is more than I want to keep up with. If I end up long arming as a business at some point, I may change my mind.

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork Times

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to DWMonday ~ Procrastination and Social Media

1. you’re right: the second kona does look better! do you know what color it is? I think it’s because those fabrics are rich and deep, and your second choice looks better- not so washed out… I used to be more dedicated about my blog- but now I only post for RSC Saturdays. everyday is a nice idea, though. I enjoy stopping by yours every day, though!

2. Paige says:

Either background looks great with the fabrics, but the second does bring a new look. Congrats on 1,000 IG followers!

3. Mary says:

I like the one on the left the best. I’ve always loved your blog. Your blog was the first one I followed.

4. B says:

The second solid (rosy tone) would be my choice. The white seems too bright for this fabric collection.

5. piecefulwendy says:

The rosy-toned fabric definitely plays better with the other fabrics, mainly because it has a warmer tone than the other fabric. Good switch! Congrats on the IG stat, which doesn’t surprise me in the least. I always look forward to seeing what you are up to.

6. Paula says:

I can see why you weren’t happy with the first background fabric. The second is a better choice. I know when I have doubts to listen to myself. If I keep going I usually regret it. Follow your instincts. Since I’m not on IG I hope you do keep blogging. I enjoy your quilts and seeing your little guys. Happy Monday!

7. dezertsuz says:

I think either fabric is okay. One makes a lighter quilt and one a darker one, but both work. I like the pattern, though, and I have a lot of scraps that would work with it!

8. Judy in MO says:

Yes, definitely the second rosy beige. It warms up the other fabrics, I think. I enjoy your blog, keep up the good work.

9. Diane says:

Love the Kona. It makes the prints stand out.

10. Nann Hilyard says:

I like the silvery-er color, but after staring at the photo for a while, I think the darker color brings out the best in all the prints. Yes, it’s easy to get tangled up in social media. I’ve got a blog and an active presence on FB but I avoid Twitter and Instagram. My go-to quilting friends are via those communications dinosaurs, Yahoo Groups.

I’m wavering back and forth between the background choices and honestly think either one will work. I like the way the lighter one allows the colors of the blocks to stand out more but the darker one is more restful. I don’t know how you keep up with quilting, blogging, IG and FB. I’ll have to look into Bloglovin.

12. Donna says:

I like the second choice, also; but I don’t think I like it enough to rip out seams 😦 I’m not a fan of “unsewing” 😉

I like the more rose shade of fabric, it’s pretty with you other fabrics. Hugs,

14. Gunilla says:

I like the brown-pink color best! It seems warm ans I think it goes well together with the prints, being a bit softer!

15. I agree that the second, brownish fabric really is a lot better. I’m usually a gray girl myself, but here the brown is a lot better, warmer somehow. You really called that one, good catch!

16. Ursula says:

I can see why the second fabric choice “feels” better. It definitely brings out the warmth in the other fabrics. I can also see that it would be a good choice since you mentioned that you are choosing a brown for the backing. I enjoy your blog every day. Thanks for taking the time to share with us fellow quilters. Blogs are great ways to make quilty connections.

17. Alycia says:

Beautiful quilts – and wow – congrats on the IG followers ( I am one of them – I like your inspiration!)

18. Jan O says:

I agree with you – the warmer taupe harmonizes with the prints nicely.

19. kathysnest32 says:

found you on em’ scrapbag. I really like the darker color. I was sewing Dear Jane and took it apart also. Used warmer colors for my sashing and it just came alive
    Kathleen Mary

20. Kate says:

The darker taupe works really well with those fabrics. It’s hard to work on something when we feel something is off. Hopefully this project will be headed towards a finish soon. Congrats on the IG followers.

21. I always enjoy seeing and reading what you post Katy.I haven’t gone down the IG route but might think about it now as Facebook is distributing business posts in such a weird way that it’s impossible to reach people regularly and tell a coherent story.

22. Em says:

Congrats on your instagram success. I just started an instagram account a few months back. It is fun to look through all the pictures but I still like to read blogs.
    I like the darker background thw.

23. I like the second background color, it just warms up the quilt and makes it more interesting somehow. It’s difficult to make the decision to change, especially once all the pieces are already cut. If you’re doubting your first choice then go for the second, you’re heart will thank you in the end! 🙂

CONGRATS on 1000 IG followers – that is so awesome! I think it’s amazing that you blog almost everyday and I always look forward to seeing what projects you are working on.

24. Bonnie in Va says:

Your rosier beige does look nicer — maybe because there isn’t so much contrast yet you can see the pattern just as well. Another little lesson in colors. Wow! 1000 IG followers! I can hardly get my blog posts done. I don’t for see me starting any other social media for the time being. Congratulations to you though. I always enjoy reading your posts although I might read them much later than when posted.

25. Laura Haynes says:

I really prefer the new rosy brown solid.

26. I prefer your second choice. I read your blog through Bloglovin and enjoy every one of your posts. Is minky hard to quilt? Do you do anything special when you use it?