Those Triangles and a Bright Idea

I played a bit with the triangles leftover from my Simply Style layer cake. Here are some of my ideas.

I haven’t made a decision yet, I am leaning toward a layout that would have some plain blocks added to make this a bit bigger. I don’t like skimpy baby quilts!

My husband came home from Menards the other night with several packages of these LED lighting strips.

They had a great sale and he thought they could be useful in the sewing room. It is a large room with four big fluorescent fixtures. The ceiling is not super high and there are some shadowy areas. We ended up mounting several of them on the suspended ceiling grid work over the long arm. Here is a before shot:

And here is after with the regular lights off!

Each strip is only 23 watts so very low energy usage and they really brightened things up! I especially  like that you can see my toy sewing machine collection on top of my cabinets now. Here is a look at the light strips.

The strips can be cut with scissors to fit the space that you need. They are mounted with a self adhesive strip.

Linking up with The Quilting a Room with MelFree Motion by the River

18 Responses to Those Triangles and a Bright Idea

1. What a difference in the lighting!

2. Bonnie in Va says:

What a difference those strips make. You need to feature your collection in a post one of these days. I agree you should add some neutral blocks to make your baby quilt bigger. (Well, I just like the designs better…I have no idea what size the triangles alone will make.) I really like the one with the offset spaces. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

3. diane says:

What a ‘bright’ idea! I love the collection too, how fun!

4. Gail says:

Amazing lighting transformation. I have the same situation in my basement sewing room. Any tips on getting everything connected and plugged in?

5. Judy in MO says:

Thanks for sharing those lighting strips. I didn’t know they were available. All of your HST ideas were inspiring.

6. piecefulwendy says:

Wow — those light strips really make a difference! Will be fun to see what you choose for your baby quilt. I like the layout that makes the HSTs look like little bowties. Could be a fun baby boy’s quilt. I also like the random layout. It will be a happy quilt no matter what you choose, the colors are so nice!

7. Quiltmouse says:

Love the lights! And the fluorescents are off!! I’m always clicking on lamps to light the corners of my room. HSTs give so many options, I like the 4th picture, but agree with you. I don’t like baby quilts too small – they grow up so fast!

8. Wow can’t believe the difference the strips make – hadn’t even spotted your machine collection on top of the units – made to sure to go back and have a look!

9. Those light strips look like such a great lighting solution!!

10. Janet O. says:

Love all the options with the triangles. I especially like the originality of the last one.
    Great improvement on the lighting. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking. My sewing room has some real dark spots, but I’m not sure hubby will like adhesive on the ceiling. Wonder what I can come up with?

11. Those lights are awesome. I need to find some.

12. Jayne says:

First you can’t go wrong with HST! Any layout you pick will be perfect. The difference in the before and after lighting is amazing! What a brilliant idea. Your husband rocks!

13. Sandra says:

Oh man, when you pointed out your toy sewing machine collection now being visible I was like wait, what, huh? and then looked at the previous photo…HOLY DINAH!!! Yep need to get some of these asap; will be sending my daughter to Menards. I also love your panel of cabinets.

Holy Moley!! You must be THRILLED with the new lighting! It makes an amazing difference! Your hubby is quite a catch, Katy. I would be interested in seeing the end results of the off-set HST layout but it will be great no matter which one you choose.

15. Bev Parrish says:

Sorry ladies this might be a little long, but I have to share, as some might not know about this. – I love love this type of lighting. I just put some under the throat of my 3 machines, to brighten the bed area – turned out awesome.

I bought them on line from Inspired LED lighting (they do this package specifically for sewing machines, and they also sell all kinds of LED lighting) , they come in a 24 inch strip which is enough for 2 machines, they can be cut to fit, comes with switch to be mounted to machine, power pack for $30. You have to buy what they call an expansion pack for the left over strip, for $15, which comes with a jumper cable, switch and power pack. I bought from Amazon plus shipping.

Just need to be careful on the cuts, I made a bad cut on the left over strip, then it didn’t work, so I needed to buy only a strip, so I looked them up on internet got their number. Then I found out they were right here in Tempe, AZ. (And I paid shipping for the first set, as they were shipped from someplace else) They sold me just a strip, I thought, I’ll have enough left over for my Quilting machine, but didn’t want to buy another expansion kit, I decide you can’t really use the all the sewing machines at the same time (well I can’t). I was able to purchase the switch and just use the power pack between two of the machines. You’d be surprise how much they light up the bed of the machine they are BRIGHT WHITE.

16. Val W says:

I love how the LED lights brighten up your sewing room. You have given a lot of quilters something to think about. What a thoughtful hubby!

17. gayleburton says:

Great to get additional lighting in your studio – it sure does make a difference! I didn’t realize you had so many toy machines – will you share more pictures of them sometime? I’d love to see them all…. I probably have a dozen+ so you’ve got me beat, for sure! LOL

18. Connie Kresin Campbell says:

I like all your different ideas for using the HSTs! That lighting is fantastic! I looked at some LED lightng several months ago and it was pretty pricey. I think a trip to Menards is needed!