I finished the two baby quilts yesterday. I admit I did 100% machine binding on them. I am getting better at it. Here’s a look before washing.
And the second one:
And the back:
The backs of both look exactly the same. As you can see, I’m still crushing on the Baptist fan quilting design. I’d rather forgotten how much I loved it until I quilted my Goose in the Pond quilt this way. If you recall, I marked the pattern with a stencil and chalk spray for that one. It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end. It did make me start searching for an easier way to do this on my long arm though.
This is what I found:
These are called Groovy Boards by Handi Quilter, pattern boards by other companies. A stylus is attached to the machine which rides in the grooves of the boards. This is, as expected, much more expensive than a pantograph, but way less than a computer system! I bought my set up from R&S Designs (they had a sale!) and found them quite reasonable and helpful. Again, there is a bit of a learning curve, especially with lining up the rows. I was clearly not 100% successful in that department. Loading two at a time while playing with a new toy like this was probably not the best idea I have ever had!
You can see above where I overlapped the pattern at times. Yuck. Happily, this is less noticeable in the after washing pictures.
You can expect to see many more quilts quilted with this pattern! I love the texture that it gives. I also bought a set of smaller Baptist Fan boards to use on small quilts. They have many designs available. Due to the cost, I will be quite choosy and only buy those that really can’t be accomplished on the long arm any better way.