Finish It Up Friday ~ Goose in the Pond

I give up. I have waited forever for a decent day to take pictures of this quilt outside. It is always too wet, too rainy, too snowy, too dark….. So here are inside pictures.

This quilt began with blocks made for a local guild exchange.

img_1332

I finally got the top finished in February,  except for the borders. I found the border fabric in Arizona and finished that earlier this month. I purchased a large Baptist Fan stencil from Barb over at Fun with Barb. You can read all about the marking and quilting on this post.

And (drum roll please!) here is the finished quilt!

I love the giant fans!

I used a polished cotton sheet from Ikea for the back.
I made my share of wobbles and bobbles.
But I am thrilled to have this finished and finally have a new quilt on MY bed!  Yay for finishing big quilts!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, A Quilted Passion,  Sew Can SheAnja Quilts

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Finishes, Swaps, Traditional Quilts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Goose in the Pond

1. I love it! (and the granny square quilt is pretty great, too! congrats on the wonderful finish!

2. Lois Stimax says:

This is gorgeous!! What a beauty!!

3. Kathy D says:

What a fantastic quilt! Proves again I’d make a terrible quilt show judge as I had to look twice to see the bobble you zoomed in on. LOVE the Baptist Fan quilt pattern!

4. Ramona says:

Beautiful! The giant baptist fan quilting is perfect. I, too, love the quilt hanging on the wall behind your bed. What a soothing place to rest.

5. lynn jarzombeck says:

Absolutely delightful! I love the fans too, nice finish.

6. Sandra says:

Katy this is beautiful! I just love the fans motif you did; it’s the perfect icing on the cake. Have you used the IKEA sheets before as backing? How do they wash up? How do they measure up price-wise and wear-wise against regular cotton fabric? This is one of my bucket list blocks. So good to see bobbles, which I also had to look super closely to find, because it reminds me to relax and know that the overall texture, as Angela Walters always says, is what viewers will see. Thank you for sharing the shot of it on your bed, lovely.

7. piecefulwendy says:

What a pretty quilt! When you use sheets for backing, do you pre-wash them?

8. Alycia says:

It is so beautiful – I love the big fans too! Looks great

9. Sandra B says:

Awesome quilt!! The Baptist Fan quilting is just perfect for the Goose in the Pond blocks!!

10. Janet O. says:

Oh, good for you! What a glorious finish–love this quilt!
    I hope to make such a quilt someday and experience a big quilt finish, too. I’ve forgotten what that feels like. : )

Call me silly but this quilt just makes my heart sing!! It’s so beautiful! I *love& the little nine patches included in the sashing. Great job, Katy!!

12. I have always like Goose in the Pond block and your scrappy version is great! I love Baptist Fan quilting too but don’t think I would attempt it.

13. Barbara says:

I love how you chose green for the border of your scrappy quilt. It looks so pretty on the bed in your room with the green walls.

14. Oh, very nice! The Baptist Fan quilting looks perfect with the quilt top.

15. Ramona says:

Katy, I can’t reply to your comments on my blog because you are a “no reply commenter.” If you are interested in changing your status, here is a good explanation of how to do it. http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/2013/11/are-you-no-reply-commenter.html

Happy Friday!
    Ramona

16. It’s beautiful! How wonderful to have a quilt for your own bed πŸ™‚ Amazingly, after almost 20 years of quilting, that’s what I’m working on now, too!

17. Julierose says:

Just a beautiful quilt finish–I love that large block..it looks so homey on the bed–just right!!
    Hugs, Julierose

18. JanineMarie says:

Hurray for you making a quilt for your own bed!! It’s beautiful–and the baptist fans are such a pretty complement to the design. After giving up on making a new one, I broke down and bought a simple one. I hope to make runners for it, because they have a lot more potential for me to actually finish.

19. Celia Ambrose says:

It is really pretty! Looks wonderful on your bed. Good job with the Baptist fan quilting. Looks great.

20. It’s beautiful, Katy! You did a great job on the quilting. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF@ Anja Quilts.

21. gayleburton says:

Looks like several of us have questions about the IKEA sheet, so please be sure to share more information about it next time! What a wonderful finish this is – scrap quilts are always a WIN-WIN and I love this one!

22. Zenia Rene says:

Fabulous finish Katy! Sounds like you should move to AZ. It’s always bright and sunny and you can take pics anytime! πŸ˜‰

23. I’m at a loss for words – it’s gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

24. Chantal says:

Very well done. It’s just gorgeous! The sashing fabric was worth the wait. It is just perfect. It is what I am looking for for my 9 patch quilt. Congrats on this gorgeous finish. ;^)

25. Penny says:

I love your quilt; this is definitely my style. Your baptist fans are great; they fit perfectly!

It’s gorgeous! I love it and it looks wonderful on your bed. Hugs,

27. Jasmine says:

It looks beautiful on your bed. I love quilts on sleigh beds.

28. sue says:

So beautiful and Baptist Fans are one of my favorite quilting patterns. A finish is such a happy thing and for your own bed, especially nice!

29. Ariane says:

It’s a gorgeous quilt. I love the quilting. Thanks for sharing it with us.