Goose in the Pond Progress!

One day last week, I got the borders added to my GITP quilt.

Yay!

I knew I wanted to quilt this with the Baptist fan pattern. But dang, it isn’t easy on a long arm! I even bought a panto once, but I wasn’t thrilled with it. I bought this stencil from Barb  over at Fun with Barb.

It is a bit bigger than will fit my 18 inch throat. So I decided to scooch (technical term) it down to the second arc. You kind of see it in the picture above. I ended up using this to mark with.

It gets a bit messy and I cleaned my stencil every row or so.

But overall, I was pleased. Until I ran out!

Perhaps I was a bit  heavy handed! I got this a couple years ago at Tuesday Morning. I don’t know if it is still available anywhere.

The first fan, I free handed.

The next one I used a curved template to guide my stitching.

Not perfect, but good enough! And no, I didn’t rip out the first one. It took most of the day on Friday to get this quilted.

I wish I had used a slightly darker thread. I love these huge fans! In fact, I have a vintage quilt top that I have wanted to hand quilt. I plan to use this stencil for it.

My binding is made and getting this on and the hand sewing started is my goal for today.

I can’t wait to finish and wash this. Happy Stitching!

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Civil War Repro Quilts, Machine quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Goose in the Pond Progress!

1. Gail says:

The Baptist fans are perfect for this quilt! I love all the fabrics that you used!

2. That looks wonderful! I haven’t seen that stencil spray before. I have a fan pantograph to use, but the fans are a lot smaller, love your oversize ones!

3. Sandra says:

I love the nice traditional Baptist Fan. Not easy, I’m sure, on the longarm….but great job!

4. Wow oh wow. I love, love, love those blocks, and the sashing, cornerstones and border are fabulous. And the Baptist fans … perfect finishing touch. Very well done, my friend!

5. Dortha says:

Love that quilt. The Baptist fans just added to it. Great job.

6. Gorgeous! Love the photo of the bowl of binding!

7. You are the second person that I have seen raving about Barb’s stencil this week 🙂 So much fun to see you using it on your beautiful quilt

8. Perfect!! Love everything about this quilt! I have to say, Baptist Fans are my all time quilting favourite and your’s are stunning! I wish I could do this on a mid-arm!

9. Melanie says:

Great work on the baptist fans! It was a perfect choice. I also enjoyed hearing about your process on marking the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

10. Beatutiful quilt. I loved the fans too.

11. GigTog says:

Ohhhh Katy! Your quilt is gorgeous! I had no idea there was such a think as stencil marking spray…is this used only on stencils for long arms?
    ~Dori

12. Jennifer says:

Beautiful, especially with the Baptist fans. Great choice!

13. What a great way to mark. It’s look great…can’t wait to see the finish.

14. Rochelle Summers says:

Quilting Creations Marking Chalk Aerosol White (ORMD) Quilt Stencil is available through Amazon. I personally would have a hard time using it because of asthma. Seldom spray baste for that reason.

15. Janet O. says:

Love this quilt more than ever. I bought Barb’s stencil, too, but haven’t quilted a large quilt since I got it. Now you have given me ideas!!
    Have never seen that spray before–interesting.

16. Jasmine says:

Your baptist fan is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your method.

17. Sandra B says:

Love the border fabric you used for this quilt….it really finishes it off nicely!
    The Baptist fan is one of my favorite quilting patterns…..great choice for this quilt!
    Are you keeping this quilt, or will it be gifted? I think I would have a hard time giving it away!!

18. katyquilts says:

Thanks, jasmine! It was a lot of work. I am happy with it, but not sure I am ready to do another one! Take care, Katy https://katyquilts.wordpress.com/

19. Barb Vedder says:

what a great step by step tutorial on how to use the stencil with a long arm. It looks great – can’t wait to see it washed!

20. Pingback: Finish It Up Friday ~ Goose in the Pond | KatyQuilts